My PC keeps restarting itself help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G4PBuser

Beta member
Hi im new here. Not a good way to begin I guess. LOL!
My wife and I have a 3 year old Gateway PC. In the last week it has started locking up more and more. Then it restarts itself. It does it when you get to your desktop after a cold boot. It does it in the middle of viewing web pages or opening a program. Just restarts itself.
Over the weekend I wiped it clean and did a format of the HD. I then installed the Windows 98SE disk that came with the computer. All was fine. For 3 days. Now its doing it again. It wont even boot up now. It gets to the desktop and locks up every time. It wont respond to anything. I have to hold the power button down to get it to turn off.

If not for the Powerbook Im on now we wouldnt have a computer at all. My wife wants "her" computer back up and running.

Thank you in advance for any help with this problem.

This could be either a simple heat issue ( which i think it is) or could be a case of faulty memory

Check the temperatures of ur CPU in the bios ...n' post 'em ..
As i understand from ur post ..ur system is 3 years old ..n' if there has been dust accumalation on the Cpu heatsink fan ..it could lead to increase in CPU temps ..Hence the freezeing of the system.
What i would suggest is that u clean the CPU heatsink Fan .. probably apply a new layer of heatsink compound(artic silver)
N' as an immediate solution ..leave the side panels of ur Case open.

Alternatively .. if u don't find the temperatures high ..then ..u can try by removing one of the memory modules (i'm assuming that there are 2 ..) or try out with different memory

*edit*
Please post ur system specs the nxt time u post

thats some good advice preet. i think it is most likely from a power supply failing or the processor is overheating. i'm not sure about memory being the culprit, i suppose that is possible since that computer is quite old.

This happens to my laptop whenever I play games on it. I think its heat but I havent really looked at it yet. Also, it can't be a virus m3z. When you format your hard drive the viruses will be wiped (unless of course he has multiple hard drives and the virus was on one of them.)

I have one HD a 15 GIG. Its a 566mhz,64mbRam.
I cleaned it out when i Installed the NIC card 4 days ago.
Thanks for the help guys. I will take it apart and reclean it just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom