My PC crashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohidentity

Beta member
I just bought a brand new PC from newegg. This one, actually... Newegg.com - Gateway DX4831-03 Intel Core i5 650(3.20GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

It's a great computer as you can probably see. Well, recently I purchased a Logitech G9x gaming mouse and it was working fine. But I downloaded SetPoint v. 6.00 (the OFFICIAL Windows 7 setpoint) so I could change the LED's on my mouse. (Which is an official feature of the mouse, keep in mind). Well the installation finished, and it said I had to restart my computer and then the installation would continue. Well...I restart my computer and it freezes. Great. So, I try shutting it off again and restarting it again. Well it says that Windows failed to start blah blah blah. I choose the Repair option (can't remember exact name of it, I apologize.) Well, it starts loading some stuff up and it freezes.
Again.

Needless to say I went through and tried everything.
Another thing to mention is that whenever I purchased the PC from newegg, I didn't get sent any Windows 7 discs.

I found an old Windows XP disc and I setup my cpu to boot the CD-Drive before the hard drive and attempted to just reformat with XP. Now this part I'm not completely sure about. I didn't know if you could go from Win7 to XP like that, so if there's a reason that didn't work, I won't be surprised.
But from there it would go to the gateway logo, but it looked like it was faded out. And it would just sit there, doing nothing.

Now my question.
Should I waste the money on taking the computer to a repair shop or should I just get my hands on some Win7 discs and reformat?

I really have no idea WHY my PC would crash after something that stupid. I'm also about 95% sure I didn't have any viruses or anything of the sort. It's right over a month old, haha.

I greatly appreciate the help!

try unplugging the mouse and using a different one.
The mouse driver you installed appears to be buggy and unstable, and is what is causing your PC to crash.

If you unplug the mouse, it won't load the driver for it.

if that turns out to be the issue you can look up for known issues with this combination. I am sure there is a way around it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try when I get home. I really hope this is the problem. Especially considering the mouse worked fine up until that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom