my machine derecgnised the ethernet controller and now i can not install it

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
I have a GA-81875 Ultra motherboard which has a built in ethernet controller. I had installed the drivers for it.

while the machine was booting up, i hit reset because i wanted to check if my BIOS could see the hard disk. when my machine finally started and i saw the windows xp desktop, windows xp announced that it had found a new hardware device, an ethernet controller...,

I had already installed it, why has it been uninstalled. this has happened 3 times in the past.

now, when i try to install the driver, like 4 times in the past, it is proving to be a beast to install it, it just does not want to accept the driver, it says that it cannot find the driver.

i have tried rebooting and then installing and installing number of times

If you go to device manager, do you see anything under network adapters???

If so, is it your network card?

If not, double check the bios settings (since it's integrated) If you see your LAN adapter is enabled. If it is, then disable, reboot.. enable then try the windows approach.

Go to the device manager, check out the device properties.

it does not get registered under network adaptors, but under
Other devices as Ethernet Controller.
I disabled it, and then restarted windows, enabled it, and then searched for the driver in the folder where i had have downloaded it and it comes up with the message

Cannot install this hardware

the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

Now is a wierd problem with some of the Gigabyte mobo's ... What u need to do is ..after u enable the ethernet controller in the bios ... Save the changes ..then copy the same setting's to the backup bios too.

I donno why this happens ..but it must be an bug with gigabyte's dual bios system.

hey preet2u
so you have seen that problem too? i just checked my BIOS and the ethernet controller is enabled. how do i go into my backup bios and save the changes there?

what beats the hell out of me is
i thought when i install a driver, the driver gets installed along with windows xp, so at that time there is a copy of it in RAM and also on the hard disk.

so when you boot up, the contents of the hard drive are copied into RAM. now how on earth is the driver uninstalled from the hard disk.

i even went back to a previous setting, and i thought the installed driver woudl be there(i still believe it should be), but NO, it is not there.

Enter the bios ..Press F8 (answer Y when it prompts) to enter Q-Flash. Then Scroll down to Copy main Rom Data to BackUp, press enter, then it will copy (showing progress). Then click onsave settings to CMOS and exit the Q-Flash.

hey preet2u
i followed your instructions to the letter
however i did not know how to exit the setup, i hit ESC and it turned off the machine.
The contents of the main ROM had been flashed to the backup ROM, but i am not sure if the settings were saved.

Most probably it has been copied ...In any case if ur in doubt ..u can alwayz do it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom