my machine derecgnised the ethernet controller and now i can not install it - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default my machine derecgnised the ethernet controller and now i can not install it

I have a GA-81875 Ultra motherboard which has a built in ethernet controller. I had installed the drivers for it.

while the machine was booting up, i hit reset because i wanted to check if my BIOS could see the hard disk. when my machine finally started and i saw the windows xp desktop, windows xp announced that it had found a new hardware device, an ethernet controller...,

I had already installed it, why has it been uninstalled. this has happened 3 times in the past.

now, when i try to install the driver, like 4 times in the past, it is proving to be a beast to install it, it just does not want to accept the driver, it says that it cannot find the driver.

i have tried rebooting and then installing and installing number of times

Old 03-31-2004, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you go to device manager, do you see anything under network adapters???

If so, is it your network card?

If not, double check the bios settings (since it's integrated) If you see your LAN adapter is enabled. If it is, then disable, reboot.. enable then try the windows approach.

Go to the device manager, check out the device properties.

Old 03-31-2004, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

it does not get registered under network adaptors, but under
Other devices as Ethernet Controller.
I disabled it, and then restarted windows, enabled it, and then searched for the driver in the folder where i had have downloaded it and it comes up with the message

Cannot install this hardware

the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Now is a wierd problem with some of the Gigabyte mobo's ... What u need to do is ..after u enable the ethernet controller in the bios ... Save the changes ..then copy the same setting's to the backup bios too.

I donno why this happens ..but it must be an bug with gigabyte's dual bios system.

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 03-31-2004, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

hey preet2u
so you have seen that problem too? i just checked my BIOS and the ethernet controller is enabled. how do i go into my backup bios and save the changes there?

what beats the hell out of me is
i thought when i install a driver, the driver gets installed along with windows xp, so at that time there is a copy of it in RAM and also on the hard disk.

so when you boot up, the contents of the hard drive are copied into RAM. now how on earth is the driver uninstalled from the hard disk.

i even went back to a previous setting, and i thought the installed driver woudl be there(i still believe it should be), but NO, it is not there.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Enter the bios ..Press F8 (answer Y when it prompts) to enter Q-Flash. Then Scroll down to Copy main Rom Data to BackUp, press enter, then it will copy (showing progress). Then click onsave settings to CMOS and exit the Q-Flash.

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.

<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 04-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

hey preet2u
i followed your instructions to the letter
however i did not know how to exit the setup, i hit ESC and it turned off the machine.
The contents of the main ROM had been flashed to the backup ROM, but i am not sure if the settings were saved.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Most probably it has been copied ...In any case if ur in doubt ..u can alwayz do it again

Old 04-02-2004, 02:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Wow, I didnt know Gibagyte MOBO's had dual BIOS capability.... Interesting.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

hey preet2u, to exit the setup, do i hit ESC?

Closed Thread