My home project for learning and entertainment...But I need your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesx4911

In Runtime
Ok as some of you may know my I like playing with networks and servers but I have not had very much experience other than at Devry which has not helped much. Here are my goals I have a spare desktop with the specs:

dual core amd 2.7ghz cpu
6gb ddr2 ram
2tb hard drive

I want to install server 2008 on here and building my own home network, I want my own domain, ftp server, as well I want the capability of hosting my own website off this machine. I do understand there will be some things on the ISP side for hosting the website, but for now I want to concentrate on the ftp server and getting the domain running. So far I have installed the OS on and have got the domain up and running, the problem I have though is I'm not able to join the domain on my computers. It see's the domain but it gives me a weird error message, I will get a screenshot of it later on so you guys can see. Another question I have before creating the domain on the machine I was able to remote into it, but after creating the domain I can't. Is this because my computer isn't on the same domain as the server that I can't remote into it? I tried googling for some writeup's on configure domains and etc but only found how to create one.

Since you've run the dcpromo command and setup the domain, have you created authorized users / computers in the domain? Make sure you have setup at least authenticated users on the domain and log in using their credentials you've setup. Also join the PC to the domain, something that will require a domain admin credentials.

I'm running 2008 R2 on a VM, i've connected a few XP machines and Vista machines to the Domain that i created on the VM. No issues, just had to join the PC to the domain that the server created then I have to log into the domain with an authenticated user.

Your home PC isn't on the domain, so you won't be able to remote in.

Since you've run the dcpromo command and setup the domain, have you created authorized users / computers in the domain? Make sure you have setup at least authenticated users on the domain and log in using their credentials you've setup. Also join the PC to the domain, something that will require a domain admin credentials.

I'm running 2008 R2 on a VM, i've connected a few XP machines and Vista machines to the Domain that i created on the VM. No issues, just had to join the PC to the domain that the server created then I have to log into the domain with an authenticated user.

Your home PC isn't on the domain, so you won't be able to remote in.

Yup I do remember creating authorized users and computers on the domain. I never did log on with them though, yup I did see that it requires a password to join the domain which I setup doring the dcpromo install. I will try messing around with it later on.

P.S you're always respond to my threads thanks

No worries.

Ya the steps go like this:
-Setup DC, create users and groups if necessary
-Join the workstation to the domain from the computer properties page, this requires a domain admin to do this.
-Restart the workstation (something that is required) and on the next boot your domain should be there, select your domain and log in with an authenticated user

Hey Lex one another question I notice on server 08 it has some very weird issues for starting up. When I originally installed it everything worked great after running dcpromo and installing the wireless it will get past the initial windows loading screen the mouse cursor will come up and just sit there. Have you ever had this issue before?

Nope, does it eventually log in? What specs are you running on the machine with server 08 installed? What other Roles do you have installed? Realize that most of those roles have services that must be started at startup, so if you've got DHCP, DNS, ADDS and print services its going to take longer to log in than if you just have ADDS installed on the server. The more roles installed, the longer it's going to take to log in unless you have a solid machine running it.

Nope, does it eventually log in? What specs are you running on the machine with server 08 installed? What other Roles do you have installed? Realize that most of those roles have services that must be started at startup, so if you've got DHCP, DNS, ADDS and print services its going to take longer to log in than if you just have ADDS installed on the server. The more roles installed, the longer it's going to take to log in unless you have a solid machine running it.

Hmm, your right I might just be inpatient lol. Here is the error message I get when I try to join the domain with my computer

Untitled.jpg

I did add this computer to the list of computers that can join.

Plug the PC and server into a hub and try again, see if it's a routing issue with your router.

Also if that isn't an option install the DNS server, it won't be able to resolve the name digitalcorp if the DNS service isn't running or installed (since DNS is what tell's clients 'hey this name = this ip which is this pc). A fun test there would be to join the domain VIA IP instead of name.

Plug the PC and server into a hub and try again, see if it's a routing issue with your router.

Also if that isn't an option install the DNS server, it won't be able to resolve the name digitalcorp if the DNS service isn't running or installed (since DNS is what tell's clients 'hey this name = this ip which is this pc). A fun test there would be to join the domain VIA IP instead of name.

The ip for the domain would be the same as cmd<ipconfig correct?

If you did ipconfig on the server - yes. I would also suggest using a static IP on the server to make it a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom