My friend tells me to stay away from 64 bit Vista!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'd have to agree with Mak213 i think he knows his stuff and Vista 64 is as stable as can be. My amd/ati system is seamless, it as well as my intel/nvidia machine. I was worried about 64 at one point too, but not anymore.

64 bit doesn't technically physically transport information or process faster. What it does is allow 64 bits of data to move back and forth at one time, instead of the traditional 32 bit. So if a process takes 1kb of processing power, a 64 bit system would process that information twice as fast as a 32 bit (all things equal).

I agree with that point, however would you go so far to say that a 64bit system built equal to a 32bit system in hardware and software will not run programs faster? because to that I will have to disagree.

So the issue is going to be more along the lines of hardware not software issues? If hardware is all I need to worry about that should be a quick and simple search to see if I will run into issues. If it is software then well my list is going to be a long one!

So the issue is going to be more along the lines of hardware not software issues? If hardware is all I need to worry about that should be a quick and simple search to see if I will run into issues. If it is software then well my list is going to be a long one!

Software can also be an issue but not as big of one. Most programs offer 64 bit versions, but some of the more basic obscure ones may not.

Yea exactly. If you're interested in 64bit Chad I say go for it, assuming you read up on your hardware and make sure you read the comments or forums about them. i'm only saying this from my own experience, I still use a 32bit machine as well and I love both, I can't say one or the other is better but i am very impressed with the 64bit systems I use.

Well here is a question for you. If I try Vista 64 and I do run into some issues can I rollback to Vista32 without reformatting?

No. Because you cant upgrade from 32 Bit to 64 Bit. It would require a fresh install each time.

Best bet check everything NOW.

Drivers, software and everything else that you use. Check it all now for 64 Bit compatibility. See if it will work on 64 Bit and google for a Vista Compatibility list. There is one at IexBeta. That will help you along.

If you find something that you must have and doesnt work then you have your answer. Unless you can find something that is close that is working on 64 Bit that you can use.

And I'd have to agree with Mak213 i think he knows his stuff and Vista 64 is as stable as can be. My amd/ati system is seamless, it as well as my intel/nvidia machine. I was worried about 64 at one point too, but not anymore.

I agree with that point, however would you go so far to say that a 64bit system built equal to a 32bit system in hardware and software will not run programs faster? because to that I will have to disagree.
They will run them faster - assuming the programs are 64 bit capable.

well I think the only reason I am interested in 64 is to use the other .5 gb of RAM that I have. other then that I am not sure why else I would need to use 64 bit.

I'm wondering if I really need that other .5 or not right now any way.

The short of it is, no, not really.

Just checking out what's going on around here, looks like similar 64bit discussions that seem to linger around most software forums =)

I'd suggest that if you aren't sure about going to 64bit yet based on compatibilty issues or if you're worried that it would be a waste of money with benefit for you maybe it's not the right time to switch.

I wouldn't invest money in something you aren't positive is right for you. Do you have a friend or co-worker that uses a 64bit system that you could demo?

I use Vista Home Premium 32bit and played around with it's 64bit counterpart and see no real difference in speed. I have no 64bit apps. None of the software I use would be noticeably faster if it had a 64bit version. With a fast system I can't tell the difference between a blink of an eye and a half of a blink. My system because of its design only sees 3.25gb of ram even with a 64bit OS. So in my particular case there is no advantage of using Vista 64bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom