My Documents all gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooleddy4

In Runtime
After getting an error message when restarting my pc, I had to do a System Recovery thing which went throgh the last bit of the Windows XP installation.

After logging into Windows, I noticed that when I click on 'MY DOCUMENTS', all of my documents were gone!

All of my programs are still there, but where have my documents gone?

I found some information in the following link which says I need to Right-click the folder and choose Properties and then switch to the Security tab. But I can't find a 'security' tab anywhere when I do this. Here's the link:

http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=31077&subsectionid=719

Someone, please help me! Thanks!

cooleddy4 said:
After getting an error message when restarting my pc, I had to do a System Recovery thing which went throgh the last bit of the Windows XP installation.

After logging into Windows, I noticed that when I click on 'MY DOCUMENTS', all of my documents were gone!

All of my programs are still there, but where have my documents gone?

I found some information in the following link which says I need to Right-click the folder and choose Properties and then switch to the Security tab. But I can't find a 'security' tab anywhere when I do this. Here's the link:

http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=31077&subsectionid=719

Someone, please help me! Thanks!

what kind of computer do you have?

It's a HP Pavilion a708.UK with the specs below my post.

I think I have to do something similiar in the link I posted earlier to recover the old files. It's something to do with the users or something.

But I jsut dont know howto do it! lol And there's no 'Security' tab when I right-click the folder or C drive.

cooleddy4 said:
It's a HP Pavilion a708.UK with the specs below my post.

I think I have to do something similiar in the link I posted earlier to recover the old files. It's something to do with the users or something.

But I jsut dont know howto do it! lol And there's no 'Security' tab when I right-click the folder or C drive.

now we are getting somewhere. when you did a system recovery, you have 2 options. 1. to keep your data. 2 one that destroys your data
you must have pick number 2

to double check, go to safe mode and look at everybody's documents

I didn't get any option.

And I think the documents are still there, but they are not allocatd to the new user I created after the system recovery. I am the administrator, but I can't see how to get the documents back. All my IE favourites have gone too.

There is no option to delete documents when you run a "repair" on a windows instllation so everything should be in tact. The only time you can delete files is if

A) you started the install from within Windows, then there would be an option for an Upgrade/Clean install.

B) Booting from the XP disc you went passed the "windows has detected the following windows XP installation C:\WINDOWS, would you like to repair this installation if so press 'R' " and to the actual new installation of Windows.

I would try what EricB stated though. You have to boot into safe mode so you can view the "administrator" account. Logon as that account then you can see all the profiles. If you see your old profile perhaps "myprofile.old" or something you must take ownership. First I would look at your folder structure under C:\Documents and Settings folder and see if there are double the folders now, which is ok then we can proceed to the ownership/security part if that is the case.

Try going here:
Code:
[b]Start[/b] -> [b]My Computer[/b] -> [b]C:[/b] -> [b]Documents and Settings[/b] -> '[b]Usename[/b]' -> [b]My Documents[/b]
And if that doens't work, try checking the 'All Users' area.

-SkyHi

Win2kpatcher said:
There is no option to delete documents when you run a "repair" on a windows instllation so everything should be in tact. The only time you can delete files is if

A) you started the install from within Windows, then there would be an option for an Upgrade/Clean install.

B) Booting from the XP disc you went passed the "windows has detected the following windows XP installation C:\WINDOWS, would you like to repair this installation if so press 'R' " and to the actual new installation of Windows.

he has an hp, So I'm assuming he did a system recovery (hit f10 on boot), which not only reinstalls windows, but it put all of his store bought applications back. this is a better option than reformatting.
but if you do it in advance mode it will destroy your data

well...I am the administrator so theres no point to boot in safe mode. In C:\Documents and Settings and there are two folders: 'All Users' and 'HP Owner'. My new documents are in 'HP Owner'. I have tried to do something with the ownership, but I don't know how. There is no 'Security' tab when I right click any of the folders.

cooleddy4 said:
well...I am the administrator so theres no point to boot in safe mode. In C:\Documents and Settings and there are two folders: 'All Users' and 'HP Owner'. My new documents are in 'HP Owner'. I have tried to do something with the ownership, but I don't know how. There is no 'Security' tab when I right click any of the folders.

there would be a point, if your computer still had the files on it with a different name or something to that effect, because you couldn't access them or change ownership if you are not in safe mode as administrater.

you did the system recovery and not a simple reformat right?
you just might have to deal with the fact that your documents are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom