My desktop won't automatically refresh (Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the dvd inside your dvd drive, ask it when it comes up to do to do a vista repair installation.
Half of the time it will find what problems are going on with vista, other times it will fail.
If the repair fails but you can still log on to vista temporarily, begin the back up procedure of your files onto a flash drive, cd or dvd and just format the hdd and install vista again.
Just be aware of what you might put back on it that would cause the same problems again.

Vista does NOT have a Repair install.

SystemRecoveryOptions.png

These are the ONLY things you can do. System Restore is using a Restore Point. The Complete PCRestore is using a Backup with the Vista Backup Ultility. Startup Repair only fixes issues with the BCD. The Daignostics is like MemTest and the Command Prompt is exactly what it shounds like.

So there is no way they can do that since it isnt available.

Automatic Window Refresh at Registry Guide for Windows
Desktop refresh problems? - PC Tools Community Forum

Maybe this?

what ? just the another night I did a windows vista repair installation from the dvd, apparantley I got hit by the clickker virus or worm.
If you look at the dvd installation of vista home premium or any other you may have seen, it says:

1.Install vista

2. Repair vista installation to fix ANY errors that would your windows vista installation to not start up

3. Other options are to format any available hdd's including your current C:drive to install vista again.

Look at google abit, I compared reformat and reinstallations methods and tecniques using the normal xp or vista dvd when windows doesn't want to boot or play nice with you for the night....
I understand alot more of vista than I did
last year.

From what I know Vista does not have a repair feature (aside from what mak said about reparing the boot record). That and the crappy backup feature are the two things i HATE about Vista.

I think the OP should just backup and format.

Installing Vista is NOT a repair install. A repair install that XP has ONLY replaces the Windows files with the versions on the CD. All of your files, installed programs and everything else are still exactly the same. So you can repair XP while still having Office and all your games installed.

This is not possible with Vista. There is NO repair option. NONE.

No repair option for Vista - Bing
No repair option for Vista - Google Search

Dont take my word for it. Look at the 24 MILLION results that come up when searched for. Installing Vista again and getting your programs and files via the windows.old file IS NOT a repair. It is not the same repair that is in XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

You may know more than you did last year about Vista, but i have been working with XP since 2001, Vista since it first started and Win7 since it first started. I think i know the difference between a XP repair install and a Vista Repair. Like i said dont take my word for it. It wont bother me. But what i am saying is the truth.

I know exactly what it says on the Vista screen.

WelcomeToVistaSetup.png

That is the first screen you see. Followed by the one i posted above. I described what each option is. Not one of them is for a Repair install like XP had. Just read the articles in the searches. They all backup and support exactly what i said.

John Barnett's Windows Vista Support: Windows Vista Repair Options

Windows Vista does not contain a Recovery Console, therefore doing a repair install like that we are familiar with in Windows XP is not possible. Instead, if you need to replace the operating system, you either have to re-install Vista from scratch, or else re-image the drive from a backup source created using the Windows Vista Backup Status and Configuration application. this then effectively replaces the current copy of Windows Vista with a shadow copy you backed up previously.

Look another MVP saying the same thing i am saying.

How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair

Even better descriptions of the options available on the disk.

Like i said, dont believe me. The proof is out there. All over the net. They will all back up what i am saying.

You see where it says what to know about your pc ?
It says below that repair your computer I had actually dug around and found that option I would gladly take a pic for you, but I can't not when my pc is rebooted into the vista dvd mode.

When I fixed vista I used the upgrade installation option, it fixed what ever it needed to and allowed me to destroy the old windows installation folder if I didn't need it anymore.

Okay first let me say this yet again.

WelcomeToVistaSetup.png

This is the first screen you see when you boot a Vista DVD.

SystemRecoveryOptions.png

This is the screen you see when you click the Repair my computer.

This is FACT. I know this. It shows it right here as well:

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

2nd again let me say this, using the Upgrade or ANY install option is NOT, repeat NOT a repair install. That is RE-INSTALLING. They are 2 different things. You got rid of the old install and replaced it with a new one and had to install all of your software again. Browsers, Office and so on. This is NOT TRUE of a XP repair. That ONLY replaces teh Widnows files while leaving your software and personal files INTACT. No need to reinstall browers or any other software. Only updates will need to be applied.

So go ahead and take your pictures. They will look exactly like what i show here. I know as have shown for a fact that Vista does not contain a Repair feature like XP has and it is backed up by many sources on the web.

Ya XP sounds like you did an upgrade, which would have kept your old files and programs and upgraded your XP installation (or particular Vista versions) to Vista.

I'm MS certified in Vista and there is not a repair option for it. You can either do an upgrade or install over the old version, but UNLIKE XP you can't repair it. Meaning use the exact same version and run a repair install which would just rewrite the OS files keeping personal files and programs in tact.

Either way there is not a whole lot the OP can do aside from reinstalling the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom