my computer won't go online but it will go online in safe mode what is the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shell

Solid State Member
I got hughesnet and my computer and the modem (hughes) will not go online but when I go into safe mode it works fine. I called hughesnet and they said the modem is fine and there is something blocking it to prevent it from going online....but what?!? They say thats why it works in safe mode because there is no security programs or firewalls etc. to block it. How do I fix this problem?

I have windows XP.

Re: my computer won't go online but it will go online in safe mode what is the proble

Either you have a bad nic driver installed and safe mode uses the default driver which works, or you have some type of firewall running thats blocking you.

Re: my computer won't go online but it will go online in safe mode what is the proble

Turn off windows firewall or the firewall of your antivirus program. See if that fixes it. If it does then you need to turn it back on and add your modems IP address to the acception list - it probably is 192.168.1.1.

I agree with the ISP, if it works in safemode it probably is a firewall issue, either from windows firewall or your anti virus software.

If you can't figure out how to do what i said above, let us know and we can walk you through it.

I will try but if that does not work then what?

Then i'll go into more specifics like how your modem is configured, as well as your internet settings on your desktop.

ok did that and it did not work

Check to see if you are getting an IP address by opening a command prompt and typing without the quotes, "ipconfig /all" You should have an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, etc listed. If not or if your IP is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, you either have a bad NIC driver or your DHCP service may not be running. It's also possible you have some malware that is preventing you from getting on the net.

Turn off windows firewall or the firewall of your antivirus program. See if that fixes it. If it does then you need to turn it back on and add your modems IP address to the acception list - it probably is 192.168.1.1.

I agree with the ISP, if it works in safemode it probably is a firewall issue, either from windows firewall or your anti virus software.

If you can't figure out how to do what i said above, let us know and we can walk you through it.

Help please

what is NIC driver and if bad how do I fix it?

no just window firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom