My Computer Started to take 15 Minutes to Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran a second MemTest for only 1 hour but I ran it while Prime95 Torture Test was running at the same time. Both came up with no problems.

So now it's on to SeaTools to see if it comes up with something.

Do you run avg at startup?

That can OCCASIONALLY cause a slow startup with about 1% of people

EDIT: Oh and btw i did that HD tune thing

If The transfer rate drops really low (like 5 meg) is that ok?

I ran it a second time and so far it hasn't dropped below 36mb

I put the SeaTools floppy in the floppy drive and turned off my pc. While it was off, I replaced the cable that runs from my hdd to the mobo. I booted and there was no change. SeaTools is supposed to run in DOS but my pc went straight to Windows. My floppy drive is first in the boot sequence in CMOS but my pc isn't recognizing the disk. The floppy drive works fine, no problems with read/write.

So now I'm going to update BIOS. Would someone let me know which ones to install. For the driver, I downloaded 3124_x64_11110_logo SiI 3124 64-bit Windows BASE Driver but I haven't installed it yet, not sure if it's the right one. I have RAID Array capability but i'll never use it, so it eliminates a lot of the BIOS update choices but there are still a few that sound identical so I'm not sure which one to use.

I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know.

I use Avast, not AVG, and Windows Firewall.

This problem that I'm having started suddenly. It didn't happen over time. One time it booted up in its usual 1 to 2 minutes, the next time it took 15 mins.

are you HarT Denise? :D

this is a not so new system correct? You have your windows updated as well? Viruscan is clean too?

You didn't mess with any jumper settings did you?

If anything, I am thinking it's your mobo...maybe the connector is bad on it.

I'm HarT . . . how did you know? I only use that name at a particular place.

My system is about a year old. I just purchased a new Windows X64 disk. I formatted and installed the updates that are available for Windows. I also updated my drivers.

This problem started a couple of days ago. I first tried a Repair but it wouldn't accept my password, and I know that the password that I typed in was correct. So instead of trying to figure out what was causing the problem, I formatted again. I can do another format if necessary.

I didn't change any jumper settings. I did install a new DVD drive a few days ago and I've used it and found that it works with no problems.

My mobo has 2 internal SATA I ports. One is used for the hdd and the other is used for an eSATA card. One of the SATA ports could be damaged. A number of months ago, I installed an eSATA card and plugged an eSATA ext hdd. I waited until it fully booted up and I turned on the eSATA ext hdd. No sooner had I done that when my system shut down. The psu and the floppy drive were ruined. It could also have ruined the internal SATA port. I'll try swapping them around and see if it makes a difference.

When I formatted the drive, wouldn't it have also deleted a virus/trojan at the same time?

Ok, you have my curiosity up. . . what's your id?

I'm a super searcher...I search for all kinds of info when people have issues ;)
helps me learn and keep info fresh. So it's just a stumble upon, same system specs thing :D

another format wouldn't really be needed for now.

Do you know anyone you could borrow a case from? Just to swap in your hd and see if it boots fine.

OR

Borrow someone else's drive and see if it boots fine.

Activation issues aside, you can perhaps reveal who is the culprit for the ultra slow boot time.

I have my hdd that's still in my old pc case and I can connect it using the USB 2.0 cable. Too many things were removed from the old case for it to work.

Someone mentioned that one of my drivers might be corrupt. How can I tell which one it is?

A stumble upon? I don't think so. . . confess.

Well, I've got great news! I swapped the ports for the hdd cable and my pc started up in about a minute! I'm happy. I didn't plug the cable for my SATA card into the ruined SATA port.

Just speculating, but why did the port fail completely at a certain time? Could it have been a corrupt driver? If so, this port will wind up failing also.

And what the heck am I going to use for my SATA card?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom