My computer is not working!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom555

In Runtime
Hello,
just a few weeks ago, i had put into use a software called -"system commander". Little i knew about that it would become rather a big headache, as today... i tried to uninstall it. But to my surprise, after restarting; my pc just didn't started.
Its just showing a sign called- Boot 2>_ (with flashing undescore).
I can't understand how to solve this. This had happened earlier too, but at that time i had instead uninstalling ...deleted all the files of system commander. And after restarting, my pc had given me option for choosing the boot from A) windows ME(which works) ....and B) windows 98 ( which dosen't).

Now how can i restore my pc to its normal state???.

------------------
phantom

you might not beable to find much help if your talking about winME.

winME is horible. The common response is to format and install a better OS... even a bootleg Xp install thats not updateable would be better.

I was asking about how to get my pc to give me options for getting it to run to its earlier normal state!.
I wanted to run my pc in safe mode, so that i can use the system restore. But i don't know which key to use now?.
Any solutions?.

--------------
phantom

F8 would be the key to press befor windows starts up for XP, not shur if its the same for ME.

If it were XP i would also be trying.... (dont know if any of this would work in winME but you could check anyway i guess)

Use the win CD and boot into RecoveryConsole, and then type
> chkdsk /p
(that will scan for and fix file problems such as dll's or what not)

or if you can get into safe mode...
1. Start CMD prompt
2. Go to the i386 dir and type> winnt32 /unattend.
3. Press enter, this will begin a unattended overlay of key sys and dll files without a reinstallation

or if you were in windows...
1. Start CMD prompt
2. type> sfc /scannow

*sigh*

Hi,
that 'system commander' is a OS manager as well as partition manager.
I thought it useless, so i uninstalled it.
Mine is a compaq armada. Its manual says that it has a preinstalled windows98. The main existing OS was windowsME. In times when i was inspecting 'system commander', after starting the software screen used to appear. In that there were names written like-
A) windowsME
B) windows98
C) fat16
D) fat32
E) ?/?

Then i used to press A, and windowsME used to load with all the existing files. I had also tried to press B, but the system got stuck and nothing happened.
At present only its just showing a sign called- Boot 2>_ (with flashing undescore).
Someone had told me to use F8 key, but nothing is happening.
Referring to the manual, my pc has a Fn key ...which has to be used correspondingly with F4, F5, F6 ....etc. for brightness, screen toggle, battery drain....etc. But there is nothing such written about BIOS setup.
I even have a useless manual for IBM pc, it says various things for using several function keys.
But at this moment, i am not able to do anything useful. I've tried several combinations but to no avail. I can't understand why that underscore is flashing?.
Another thing, i don't have back up cd. There is a back up OS cd for my pc as i have read in the manual.
So today i checked in the market and i came to know that there comes a 'bootable cd' of windows98. I am not sure if that would work. Will it?.
Whats the meaning of win cd???. Is it the same as a 'bootable cd'???.
But how to access that OS selection in compaq armada?.
And those command prompts that you are telling?.

--------------
phantom

Have you a windows 98 bootdisk? If so... try the following

1) Boot from said disk.
2) when you get to a prompt, attempt to type the following :

fdisk /mbr

what my knowledge of boot loaders tells me is that it replaced the regular windows 98 / me Master Boot Loader / bootstrapper with its version. Doing this allows it to undo what this system commander does.

You do the same process to rewrite the MBR after you destroy a linux installation for the system to run correctly. Again, assuming that i am understanding what is written correctly.

And no, it doesn't matter that you are using ME, because it uses the FAT32 File system.. and the same bootloading sequence as windows 98.

*sigh*

Hi, i just bought this windows98 bootable cd and loaded it in the starting, But nothing is happening. Again that same -
........Boot 2>._ (with flashing underscore)

And hardly any keys are working.

-----------------
phantom

*sigh*

Hello, just to add on-
I went to a shop and thank goodness the owner had a bootable cd which was very much compatible with my pc system. After startup, in the dos-mode all the files were much looking intact. Running that startup for windowsME was also not a big task, but it got stalled at the 'startup disk creator' followup with only 3% done. Even tried for installing windows98, but at the same instant the system got stuck.
Even tried SBminst, but it just shows that the software has been successfully installed. But after rebooting nothing happens. Again the same sign--....Boot 2>._
The owner has asked me that if i want to format the main partition itself and then install windows98 anew. But i am still unsure as it will erase my windowsME files and all others.
And also i wanted to ask,'what if after formatting my system becomes prone to hard-disk failure?.

---------
phantom

you could download knoppix to get your files, then purge the harddrive and install a real OS.

i dont feel like rummaging up a link for knoppix, so just google. it'll be there.

Hello
This happened to be an interesting phase. I booted sbminst floppy at startup and it did loaded. But every hd bootable sector option i clicked, nothing seem to work. Everyone giving error. The other day i bought a bootable windowsME cd and made a windows98 startup bootdiskette from a cybercafe pc. I used the startup bootdiskette to boot my pc and it worked. I came to the dos mode. I've learnt about dos in my college and got a good recall of everything. There are two partitions on my HD, :C and :D. C is the main, from that windows->option->install-> setup.exe
But during setup, it was showing error. So i directed that the windowsME setup files would load on :D drive. Successful.
Then after the first reboot, my pc started in safe mode,i.e. a shorter windows screen appeared. Then i transferred all my important files and program files which were in c: drive into d: drive. Even windows folder. Then i again started the setup.exe for that this time windowsME loads in c: drive and everything would resolve as normal as before. But after installation, the pc again starts in safe mode.
I would not opt for erasing my c: partition, so i thought for reinstalling windowsME from my newly bought bootable windowsME cd. But it showed some unusual errors. Perhaps my pc has internal configuration that it will install windowsME setup from its existing software only and not from any other bootable windowsME installer cd!!!.
I now don't know how to resolve my pc to its existing normal state,i.e. full windows screen. I have even read thru windowsME manual, but there is nothing written about coming out of that safe mode!. I've checked system restore, but no restore points were created.
Any solutions?.

--------
phantom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom