My computer freezes at the XP start-up screeen (major problems - please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris36

Beta member
I currently am having problems with my EMachines T4510 (sorry don't have my exact specs - suppose to be Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53GHz, Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, 512MB DDR (PC2100) Memory, 100GB Hard Drive, CD-RW Drive).

It all started in January when my computer kept freezing up and not powering up properly (low buzz, some lights on, nothing on monitor - Sometimes it would take about 10 starts to actually start up properly). After about 3-4 weeks of the freezing and start up problems, the power completely failed and the computer would no longer receive any power (the fan in the power supply had a slight odor of burnt plastic).

I could not see and visible damage to any part of the motherboard, so I went ahead and replaced the power supply with the same type. The computer booted up perfectly after I replaced the power supply, but there was still problems. The sound device was not working at all (i forgot the error message that came from media player). The computer was also running slow. In the Windows Task Manager my CPU Usage was constantly at 100% with the only process using anything being "System" at 98-100 of the CPU.

Hoping to fix my problems the easy way, I burnt a CD with all my important files on it using this slow computer (it took about a half hour - usually takes less than 5 minutes). Then I put my restore disk in and did a complete system restore (took about 7-10 minutes to complete). Sadly, Windows Xp froze during the 1st start-up.

Now everytime that my computer starts up it freezes at the XP screen, right when the blue bar gets to the middle or slightly past the middle (making me hold the power button in order to shut the computer). Since my computer didn't start up properly the 1st time, it brings me to a screen asking if I want to start in Safe Mode or Normal. When I try to start my computer in safe mode, it starts a bunch of writing on a black screen (always did this for safe mode), but my computer just freezes with all the writing on that black screen. Either way my computer freezes up before XP loads.

I have no clue how to try to fix this, somebody please help me. Thank you.

-Chris

Only 1 stick of memory

Please note that today I tried to boot my restore disk in my CD drive instead of my DVD (which worked fine). It gave me the 3 error messages.

"Cannot Open R:T4510.GHO"
"Cannot Open R:GHOSTERR.TXT"
"Invalid dump files"

Anyone have any ideas?

quote:(the fan in the power supply had a slight odor of burnt plastic).

you need to consider how much money you have in this pc, and how long you have had it.

About three years old I think. I know I probably will just scrap it. To be honest I was hoping to fix this CPU for cheap to have a second computer. Hoping someone here might have some ideas.

I really only do schoolwork on my computer, so I bought a HP a1340n. This new computer seems to startup slow, but it runs programs smooth and even games that my old T4510 played choppy.

I've only spent $30 for the new power supply so its no big loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom