My computer fan turns up when I run a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

egghead94

Beta member
Hey guys, my first post, hopefully it's in the right section.

Anyway, maybe it's because it's summer time and it's really hot inside and out, but recently I got CSS and TF2 and whenever I run these games my computer noise turns up a notch. I'm sure my computer can handle these games, its a home premium with...

Intel Core 2 DUO CPU E4600 @ 2.40 GHz
3 gbs of ram
32 bit operating system

I'm not sure how to check my graphics card, but the games run fine and smoothly.

So yeah, do I need to clean my computer fan or something? I haven't cleaned my computer since I got it...which was about a year and a half ago.

Thanks for your help!

The fans should kick up. This is to compensate for the extra heat that the CPU and GPU are putting out. They are putting out more heat cause they are working harder. I would worry if they didnt kick up a notch.

You can open the side panel up and spray out the inside with a can of compressed air. But overall you should notice that the fans kick up when the system is put under stress.

I understand that it's normal, but it's so **** irritating, I just wish it would quiet down a bit. I was at my friends house a few days ago and he was playing the same games, and I didn't hear a thing.

Also, is the can of compressed air supposed to clean off the dust or...?

Yeah it cleans out the dust and that. It is irritating but it is for a good reason. If it is bothering you that much look into after market coolers for your CPU and GPU which are quieter.

If you were willing to spend a bit of money, you could go with Liquid Cooling. I havnt personally tried it and dont know how well it works, but its silent.

If you were willing to spend a bit of money, you could go with Liquid Cooling. I havnt personally tried it and dont know how well it works, but its silent.

That's not totally true, sort of true maybe. A water cooled system is still using fans to blow through the radiator to cool the water. You can buy quieter fans but that rarely lasts long as the Temptation to Boost your Performance is usually Overpowering for most people.

I agree with Mak, buy an aftermarket cooler.

There are a lot of possible reasons you didn't hear noise on your friend's computer. Some low level video cards just use a heatsink and not a fan. They're much quieter, but also not nearly as powerful.

Also, some CPU's and GPU's are made to run cooler than others so they can do more without needing the fans as much.

But have you ever heard how loud an Xbox 360 is? ;)

You cold try adding a couple of extra system fans, more fans, less heat, less noise.

More fans = less noise? :)

Getting a better heat sink and going with a larger fan like a 120mm will be quieter than using 3 or 4 fans. More isnt always better. What if you get a fan that in itself is noisy? More noisy than just having 1 fan working itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom