must we use windows nt

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
So here at work we have about 8 computers. they all run windows nt and to be totally honest with you. I HATE WINDOWS NT!!!! Any who, the one special piece of hardware (a comtrol rocketport which from one card gives you 8 comm ports) works just fine in later operating systems and i dont see why the software wouldnt either. do any of you think there is a good reason why we have to use windows nt for these computers?

Cost to upgrade? Your company would probably end up having to buy all new pc's, with XP, the new office, new versions of their software, so you are looking at $20k-$30k right off the bat. You mightpossibly have to upgrade the server as well, so theres another $3000-$5000 for hardware/software. It's an expensive thing to upgrade all at once.

But other than that, I see no reason to keep using NT.

i think you miss understood the computers dont actually communicate with each other. they are in no way connected to the network. the only question is with the software that we run. since we were using windows nt v4 and windows 2000 is essentially windows nt v5 we are going to give it a shot. the computer all run individually controling what are called bitjet printers which print addresses onto magazines and such. the pc that this is on is more than enough to run windows 2000, it could prob run winxp if we wanted it to. we also already have many legal copies of windows 2000 so that is also not a problem

I used some software that ran on windows xp sp1, but wouldn't work on sp2. the manufacturer required us to purchase an upgrade to run on sp2. going from NT to 2000 might seem like no problem, but it could be, who knows. Your description is too vague to really know either way.

Do what all good sysadmins do. Make a test box, try to break it, if it works without breaking, migrate!!

well i finished the install of the software and rocketport. Everything seems to work well. next week we are going to put it in a mock production environment so we will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom