Are Multiple Versions of .Net Framework Needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
or is it ok just to install the latest and greatest?

sometimes i see software with .net framework 1.1 required. would this run if i have 3.5 installed?

If you have .NET 3.5 installed then you have all the previous versions installed. With Win7 you can only install the latest .NET 4.0 as the rest are pre-bundled. But if you are on XP, then yes you have to download and install them all separately and yes they could be mandatory. I know some software that uses .NET 2.0 and wont install without it. the problem comes in when these programs dont see that there already is .NET installed cause they only have the latest version installed. Like programs that require .NET 1.1 that try to install on Win7. They are such a head ache. You basically have to trick the program to see the .NET when it exists.

ok, we need to careful of anything pre 2.0 sp2 because apps may have problems installing.

up to 3.5 sp1 can be added as a windows componet

4.0 greater would be a separate install.

result may vary per application.

quoted:
.NET framework 3.5 & windows 7

YiChun Chen:

Thank you for your post.

For Windows 7, it includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component. This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes if you have installed Windows 7. Thus, you don't need to manually install .NET 3.5 with SP1. We can add or remove the feature of 3.5 with SP1 via the Programs and Features control panel.

I'm not quite familiar with your program. However, to make one application run on one target machine, at least, we need target .NET Framework to be well installed on the machine. To verify whether .NET Frameworks are well installed, we can utilize this Verification Tool to verify .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1. Please check "Current status" to know the result of verification - success or failed.

I bet if you tried installing .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0 that it would not work. As I stated above they are all part of .NET 3.5 SP1 which is included in Win7.

The Moth - .NET Framework 3.5

I got a similar response from the same person you quoted.

All versions of the .NET Framework from 2.0 onwards (i.e. 3.0 and 3.5) use exactly the same core framework files. The CLR is still v2.0 which is the core in .NET Framework 2.0. The Core parts are referred to speak as the 'Red Bits' and the rest as the 'Green Bits'.

I have found a blog post on how to get .NET 1.1 installed on Win7, but be warned, depending on which parts of .NET 1.1 are used they may not work even with this trick. It was done during the Beta of Win7 and from what I see on several topics, it says it installed but shows missing entries when tring to run various aspects of that specific framework.

My Thoughts: Installing Dotnet Framework 1.1 on Windows 7 beta edition

There is the link to the blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom