multiple osses

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i just got a new computer(mobo on old 1 fried, but the hd is stil good(win 98)) and i am wondering if it is possible for me to put in the hd from the dead pc in to the one i am using now and have it to multiple boot. i already got the hd in, and tried to jimmy with the boot.ini file, but i cant get it to boot. the hd is slave on the primary ide(xp detectes it) but i dont know the perematers for it. for instance the main hd(win xp ) is
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

but how do i set the perematers for teh other disk? what do all of the things mean(multi, disk, rdisk, partion), or does anybody know how to properly set the perameters for the drive with 98 to get it to boot? the 98 works and everything, the old pc just went kaput. i got it to work on this one when it was the primary hd, but i want to use xp and 98 in a dual-boot sorta way.:confused:

It wont work moving it from one PC to another just like that it requires some work...by that time though you could have usually re-installed a new copy of 98 with all the drivers for the new system etc etc...might be the best route..You have a specific use for 98? I say ditch it :)

it should be this, if it's slave on IDE 1 and is called drive e:\

E:\ ="Microsoft Windows 98"

That should pick it up. The drive that it's on is the one that needs to be named.
Since 98 is just dos, you only need to point to the drive you wish to boot from. The Boot loaded, which the boot.ini is used with, won't need to do much with it.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom