multiple operating systems on same hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

LX555

Solid State Member
I have a 2TB internal HDD split in to 4 partitions. XP is running on one, but i want to install windows 7 on another partition or on the same partition. I've tried to lay out my issues and train of thought in as much detail as possible...

Idea/Problem A... I want to easily be able to switch between the 2 from a multiboot menu on start up. However as i understand it, this would only be possible if both operating systems were both installed on the same partition. There is also no option in my bios to specify what partition to boot from as it will only let me chose a physical drive. Therefore as i understand it, it will always boot from the active partition on the hard drive it is booting from. The only way i can see to be able to switch between OS's on the different partitions is to change which partiiton is the active one. But these seems a bit long winded and i cant help but think there must surely be a quicker way to make it work. And as i understand it, unless i logged into a 3rd OS installed on a 2nd separate HDD, in order to switch i would have to remove the active status from the very partition on which the OS i was using to do it was installed which i'm not even sure is possible or advisable. Am i understanding this correctly or are there areas where i am incorrect or any faster work arounds for this?

Idea/Problem B....Alternatively, to avoid this problem, i've considered installing a 2nd OS on the same partition as the 1st. I've done this before with xp home and xp pro for example, even though microsoft reccommend against it and even recall them saying it could not be done somewhere as i recall. Although i never had problems that i'm aware of with it, how advisable is it in reality (unbiased opinion) and what could go wrong? i guess it's possible my system may have perhaps been comprimised somewhat in terms of performance etc when i tried this before without me even knowing it, but i'm not sure to what degree that would be likely. Also is it likely that the fact 2 completely different microsoft OSs are installed on same partition make it more problematic or less (i.e XP and windows 7 as apposed to both just being different versions of XP previously)?

So is it a choice between A and B or is there a more advisable alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums

Your BIOS has nothing to do with it as far as booting to partitions. It is the bootloader that manages this, and Windows 7 will automatically add entries for both Win7 and XP. You can set which OS is the default, as well as the timeout period for choosing an OS.

Also, an easier way to adjust partitions instead of using the command prompt from the 7 disc...
http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

Gives a nice GUI interface that's quick and easy.

Are you talking about when installing a second OS on the same partition or a different partition? Isn't there a different bootloader for each partition or Operating system installed? - In which case that brings me back to my original question.

Regards

Idea/Problem A... I want to easily be able to switch between the 2 from a multiboot menu on start up. However as i understand it, this would only be possible if both operating systems were both installed on the same partition.

This is not true at all. I have 3 different OS's installed, to the extent that they physically can not be installed to the same drive cause Linux doesnt use the same file system as Windows. So this cant be possible that they must be on the same partition.

There is also no option in my bios to specify what partition to boot from as it will only let me chose a physical drive.

BIOS = Basic Input/Output System. It allows your hardware to fire up and for your system to start the boot process. Other than the option to hit F12 to select which Device boots first, there is nothing more the BIOS does. The Boot Menu takes care of selecting different partitions.

Therefore as i understand it, it will always boot from the active partition on the hard drive it is booting from. The only way i can see to be able to switch between OS's on the different partitions is to change which partiiton is the active one.

Yes and no. It will boot to the first drive connected and the first partition on that drive. That drive must contain boot information. If it does not your system will tell you "No OS installed. Press Ctrl +Alt+ Del to reboot." So what you do is create a boot menu to select which OS you want to use. This menu then continues the process of booting the OS selected.

Idea/Problem B....Alternatively, to avoid this problem, i've considered installing a 2nd OS on the same partition as the 1st.

This is not recommended for a reason. If you do not pay attention, or with the case of Windows Vista/7 you dont have the option to select where the files go. You click a few things and it installs itself. So in essance you will overwrite your XP Folder with Win7 files and destroy your XP. With no chance of recovery at all. You can do it with XP home and XP Pro cause the only difference is Pro has more options. You cant do it with XP and Win7 cause they are so different. They have everything different about them from the Kernel that runs the OS to the GUI that you see.

So is it a choice between A and B or is there a more advisable alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Use separate partitions. Use EasyBCD to get a nice interface to adjust your boot menu how you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom