Multi-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4x3r

AKA ComatoseClown
hey guys...yall all know who i am..but anyway...as you saw in the off topic forum...AOHELL!!!....so i reformatted and popped in my 30gb hdd and installed win2k on it...so now i have Windows XP pro on partition C: (my 80gb drive) and 2k on D: (30gb) i am planning on using windows xp for most all my stuff except gaming which i'm gonna use 2k..and i want to know how do i edit the boot.ini to allow multiboot when the system is starting up?? thanks for the help

okay man thanks...i got it added..but it's not right..cause when i select it it boots windows XP...here is the boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

i looked for the location of D: and it is Location: Location 1 (1)

so how would i fix it?

Thats weird... your ini file looks as though it should be prompting you to choose between the 2 for 30 seconds.

you can try :
At the command prompt, type: bootcfg /timeout# Where # specifies the time in seconds after which default operating system will be loaded.

no...thats not the problem...it's when it comes up asking if i want to boot either windows XP or 2k...if i select windows XP it boots xp...and if i select windows 2k it boots XP..i think it's looking in the same place for both...but i dont know how to get it to look on the other hdd for win2k...

i tried changing this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

to this:
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

and it still doesn't work

Try to set the windows 2000 to the default OS to see if it will boot.

use this...

At the command prompt, type:
bootcfg /default /ID#
Where # specifies the boot entry id in the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file to be made the default operating system.

Thought : Is your 2000 Os on the same disk or a different drive ?

Found it ( i think )

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

your 2000 needs to be partition (2)

nope...still didn't work

and yes they are on two separate hdds...W2k on my 30gb WD and XP on my 80gb Seagate

sry for the double post...but i got it fixed....i had to change rdisk(0) to 1 and that solved the problem:D actually i;m writing this on windows 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom