MSN Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
Been having a problem signing in to messenger on my laptop for several months now.

when signing in I just get this error message:

bloodystupidmsnrm8.jpg

That is Error Code 80048820

I've googled around the problem and it seems fairly common with like a million different solutions.

I can log in just fine on my other PCs which are setup the same way, connecting into my router.

I don't have a software firewall on the laptop currently so I know its not that as the message suggests. Other things i've tried:

Upgrading MSN messenger from 7.5 to live

Changing the MTU on my adapters and router to 1400 and several other values up to 1500

Reregistering the appropriate DLL files:
regsvr32 Dssenh.dll /s
regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll /s
regsvr32 Sccbase.dll /s
regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s
regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s
regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll /s
regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s
regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll /s
regsvr32 Msxml3.dll /s

Repairing windows files with SFC /SCANNOW

I've checked that IE settings are default with no proxy.

I've also tried various other things...

Any suggestions?

Ahh yes, forgot to mention that. My date and time are correct, freshly updated via time.windows.com

When I click on troubleshoot I get this:

bloodystupidmsned3.jpg

now I know the hosts file warning is rubbish because I emptied my hosts file.

I would not mess with your MTU setting though, it should stay at 1500 or 1492 or lower for DSL.

I would uninstall it, restart, redownload another one, and install it then restart. Because it could just be a bad installation at first.

Bypass the router for this computer, connect it directly to your ISP device (modem), see if there is any problem connecting then. Just to see if it's the router, though it might not be, I would just give it a try. Doesn't hurt to know.

yes unfortunately I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times, even re-downloading the install.exe.

I tried a few different MTU limits as I've read lots of instances of this problem being fixed by lowering the MTU, I've set it back to 1492 now.

Law said:
Bypass the router for this computer, connect it directly to your ISP device (modem), see if there is any problem connecting then. Just to see if it's the router, though it might not be, I would just give it a try. Doesn't hurt to know.

No can do i'm afraid, my ADSL modem is built into my router/firewall.

You said you clear the HOST file. Have you check that the loopback address entry is there.

The only thing there should be the loopback address
127.0.0.1 localhost

Law said:
You said you clear the HOST file. Have you check that the loopback address entry is there.

The only thing there should be the loopback address
127.0.0.1 localhost

Yes that entry is there. normally its full of other enteries from spybot search and destroy, but i've removed those.

Ive just done another fresh install, with a registry scrub inbetween with no joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom