MSN Doesnt Stay Connected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I reinstall and let Revo go to work? I find that using Add/Remove still leaves lots of files all over the place, pertaining to WLM. Would Revo clean those up?

It will remove more than add remove does. I am not sure if it cleans up the stuff left in the User fodlers or the App Data folder. I thought it did.

We shall see.

EDIT Nope, it doesnt, but it did find lots of leftover goodies. Id still like to remove as much as possible though. I found a site that gave instructions on how to clear everything possible, but the paths were for XP, not Vista.

Give me the link. I will figure out the paths for Vista and let you know. Then you can get yoru essay done. :p

Haha thanks, I get distracted wayyyy too easily.

Have you already tried to completely remove Windows Live Messenger? But also completely removed the registry settings before reinstalling?

These instructions will erase all Messenger related data on your computer (this may include Messenger related data of other people who use your computer as well).

Please don't skip any step:

1. Close all instances of Messenger completely.

2. Remove any other Messenger related addon (like SmileyCentral, SweetIM, MSN Content Plus, etc)

3. Remove Windows Live Messenger and/or MSN Messenger via your Windows Control Panel and "Add/Remove Programs".

4. Run the following registry file. It will completely remove your registry settings for MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger (note: you will of course loose your settings):
http://home.scarlet.be/~tsf54471/msn/delete_msn_wlm.reg

5. Open Windows Explorer (Start > Run > explorer.exe) and make sure you can view all hidden and system files:
Tools menu > Folder Options item > View tab > Advanced Settings list > Hidden files and folders > enable "Show hidden files and folders" and disable "Hide extensions for known file types".

6. Remove all the cache and storage directories used by Messenger (if they still exist):

C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Call\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Messenger\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\
C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Contacts\
C:\Windows\Temp\MessengerCache\

and the main folders:
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\installer\

note: "C:\Documents and Settings\...", "C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows\Temp" may be named differently on your computer. If so, find the appropriate root directories.

You can do this by going to you command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and type "CD xxxx" where xxxx can be:
%programfiles% to go to your "C:\Program Files\"
%temp% or %tmp% to go to your "C:\Windows\Temp\"
%userprofile% to go to your "C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\"

7. Reboot your computer

8. Make sure you don't have any programs which might block Messenger from installing and running, like internet security software, firewalls, etc...

9. If not already done, clear your browser cache completely. Instructions can be found here:
Clearing Cache
https://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html

10. Redownload and reinstall Messenger
MSN Messenger 7.0.0820 can be found here
MSN Messenger 7.5 is not supported anymore by MS.
Windows Live Messenger 8.0 is not supported anymore by MS.
Windows Live Messenger 8.1.0178 can be found here.
Windows Live Messenger 8.5.xxxx (latest) can be found here or here.

Alright i will have a look see and what i can find for you and locations and will get them posted ASAP.

I understand. I am looking into it right now. I will get you some results ASAP.

Alright first location for some of hte files.

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft

In there you will find Messegner and Windows Live folders.

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

There are some more folders. MSN Messenger is located there.

That is all the folders i found and their locations in Vista.

In Local\Microsoft I found Messenger and Windows Live - both had files and were deleted.

In Roaming\Microsoft, I found MSN Messenger, but it was empty.

Ill try to reinstall now and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom