MSI K8N M.Board Utility Driver Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairuza

Baseband Member
I have the MSI K8N Series mainboard, running an Athlon64 processor; O/S: WinXP (SP2).

The board came with a bunch of utilities and drivers - just as you'd expect. Among these are a couple of system monitors. One for performance, the other governs fans and generally keeps an eye on system temperatures.

When I built this system, a couple years back, this issue never existed.

Recently I moved the op. system and drivers to a new SATA drive, in a fresh install. Only this time, I actually installed the MSI Live Update facility which, I presume, is for driver updating.

Basically, I get a series of boxes pop up, just after Windows has loaded. It doesn't always occur, but let's say 3 out of five boots gets these error messages...

They close almost as quickly as they pop up, so I haven't been able to relay them here, verbatim - but the errors basically say:

"Couldn't load Digicell"
"Couldn't load CoreCenter"
"CoreCenter doesn't support MSI motherboard"

+ Something else, I cannot recall now.

The only real change I've made, is re-arranging all my programs and facilities in the Start Menu. Could this have an effect on their loading, at start up? I felt safe doing this as, after all, they are only shortcuts (?)

Yes, CoreCenter & Digicell are listed in my Startup folder of the Start Menu. (Well, obviously they ARE loading...)

Now as I said, I've installed MSI Live Update but I'm not sure if anything's really updated at all (?). It shoots me to a page of the MSI site, where there appear no links to actually download anything. To be honest, it doesn't seem to be of much use for anything.

What do you think the problem is? Why should I be getting these errors? How do I actually update these drivers properly?

None of this seems to affect actual system performance, but there is something wrong - right? Would you say I really need these system monitors? I mean - I never saw any warnings kick in, during two years, under the old build.

(Okay - once, a temp. warning kicked in - but that was on a VERY hot day, while the computer was multi-tasking like mad. I haven't driven it that hard since).

Cheers.

Live Update is for updating the BIOS from within Windows. Unless you think you will need it I would uninstall it.

Thanks. Question is, though... How do I stop these error boxes appearing?

Uninstall the LiveUpdate. Do it through the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel or use Revo uninstaller.

Uninstall the LiveUpdate. Do it through the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel or use Revo uninstaller.

Sorry, I don't think I made it clear in my first post... The problem started before I installed the Live Update. I only installed it, in the first place, to see if updating the drivers might be the answer.

But I will take your advice and uninstall it, anyway.

Sorry...? Where do those articles suggest I ditch anything?

Have I caught the other... what?

Neither program is essential. DigiCell monitors peripherals, CoreCenter displays mobo info.

You mentioned another error message that you didn't catch. Have you caught it yet?

Neither program is essential. DigiCell monitors peripherals, CoreCenter displays mobo info.

You mentioned another error message that you didn't catch. Have you caught it yet?

Ah I see. In that case, I don't think I need DigiCell at all. Peripheral devices all run fine anyway.

Yeah, I got a better look. The messages are:

Failed to load Corecenter.
"................." Digicell.
MSI Corecenter does not support your motherboard!

It's not like a BIG deal... It's just mildy annoying. If summat's there, I like it to work.

Just seems really silly, 'cos it never displayed any of this before.

If I boot from the other drive I installed WinXP on, it loads up without a sniff.

The only other thing I think I should mention is that this started happening immediately after a friend recommended I install 'FixIt'. FixIt stupidly kept making restore points, which I didn't need, so I blew it out. Seemed like a gimmick to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom