MS Word security ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbrze

In Runtime
Is there a way to send a MS Word doc and have a setting where the other person can see the doc but can't edit it?

What version Word are you using? In 2007, go to Review > Protect Document > choose your preferences (2. Editing restrictions is required) > 3. Start enforcement/Yes, Start Enforcing Protection > Enter Password twice > OK

Other versions have a similar security option as well.

There is also read only under the options tab when you right click the document.

It's MS Office 2003. I don't see a general options under tools, is the save optios or security options what you're talking about? Even if I set the Word doc as read only, can't the person on the other end take the read only off and then edit it?

Hello,

Yes. But there is a way around everything. They could just copy and paste your whole document to a new document and edit it all they want and send it back to you as well.

There is no completely secure way to stop every action from being taken. Espically with a PC. There is always some way to work around something.

In your case i jsut gave it. All they would have to do if you did get it so they couldnt edit it was to just copy and paste it to a new document. Then they can edit it galore. Then jsut save it as the same file name that you sent to them and viola. They edited it.

Use a PDF file. It is far more secure and much harder to work around security.

Cheers,
Mak

For 2003:

How to Password Protect a Microsoft Word 1997or 2003 Document:
For obvious reasons, password protecting a Word document can be a useful thing to do. This doesn't guarantee a first-class encryption, but for most basic needs this trick can protect your document.
1. Open the Word document you wish to protect.
2. At the top, click Tools>Options.
3. Click on the "Security" tab.
4. Type your password in the allotted space.
5. Click OK.
6. Re-type your password as told.
7. Save and exit.
Source: How to Password Protect a Microsoft Word 1997or 2003 Document - wikiHow

Or... YouTube - Password protect Word/Excel 2003 Files

Hello,

While that is useful. It will not help those who are trying to jsut view the document. As they will need the password just to open it. After that they can do whatever they want to it. ;)

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

While that is useful. It will not help those who are trying to jsut view the document. As they will need the password just to open it. After that they can do whatever they want to it. ;)

Cheers,
Mak

Not true...at least not in 2007. You can open the document but not edit/make changes unless you unlock it with the password. You can't copy/paste, though user is still able to take a screen shot of the document.

Yes but they are not using 2007. They are using 2003. So my statement still stand true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom