MS Word security ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true...at least not in 2007. You can open the document but not edit/make changes unless you unlock it with the password. You can't copy/paste, though user is still able to take a screen shot of the document.

Please don't argue with mak - he knows more about windows an MS products than practically everyone on the forums.

Seriously? This isn't an argument and my statement stands true. It may not help this user's particular situation in 2003 (my bad, oversight when I posted) but it does work as described in 2007 and may actually be useful to some other reader who crosses this post needing 2007 rather than 2003.

Mak also failed to mention the possibility of using IRM in Office 2003 to protect the information if it's being sent via email as well: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/CH010500851033.aspx

Mak hasn't been able to address my issue, the only reason I initially came to this forum. In fact, no one here has: http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/microsoft-excel-2007-highlights-multiple-cells-181989/

But if the goal of this forum is intended to share the knowledge and experience of other people (rather than one, Mak213), then how sweet of you to come to the defense of mak and how tactful of you to insult other members attempting to assist a user. But I guess you've never made a mistake...

Obviously, you've never been in a situation desperate enough that you're willing to try what others may have suggested for you to try and you must know it all and not rely on the information you locate here on the boards.

Note: 2003 gives you the option to add a password to either Open the file OR Modify the file (Tools > Options > Security) - you do not have to choose both. Now, not having 2003 installed, I can't test the theory. Mak's suggestion for PDF is okay as well but you can still take a screen shot of a PDF as well.

{I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears and be deleted anyways...so much for people being helpful nowadays}

Oh no I just know things about mak that you don't he is one of my best friends Mak is a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Any yes I have been in a situation where i have tried some last gasp soloutions but mak has told you that you cant do it within word.

I might have been out of order saying what i did i stand by it an I wasnt attacking others by saying it i was adding my backing to maks technical skills.

Biz,

The reason i have not given a answer is because i can not reproduce the issue. Which seems to be common as there was only 2 other reports of that issue anywhere on the web other than your multiple posts of it. Only 3 people having this does not make a isssue. Just a inconvience.

As for that part of IRM i did not mention it cause as i have said from teh start there is a way to get around it all.

I am not trying to insult you as you are right. There is the option in 2007 to password protect. I have 2003 installed and i tried that other method but i did not see it.

I do thank you for your input. But everything has a way around it.

Cheers,
Mak

It's been a while since I've been on. The PDF is an excellent idea. Can I copy a MS Word file into pdf format and if so, how? Thanks again all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom