MS Word Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BavarianWheels

Baseband Member
I'm just having all kinds of difficulty lately...

Here's the latest.

I open MS Word and get a full screed view minus the tool bar on top. I cannot resize the window as it is stuck on max. I can minimize to the task bar, but from there can only maximize view again. It seems to be lost somewhere other than the viewable desktop area. Also the tool bar is gone.

Behaves the same in Outlook since I'm using Word to view email...

WinXP

Try double clicking on the title bar to minimize but it will still be in a window. Also try View>Toolbars and make sure standard is selected.

Pressing <esc> does nothing.

There is no tool bar. To save the document I'm working on, I have to <ctrl+s>

<alt+space> brings down the window menu (which I could get to by right clicking on the task bar below) but when I minimize, the window disappears and seems (by the window disappearing animation) to move off the desktop into "no mans land."

When I open to compose a new email, the window appears way off to the left (I have dual screens) and narrow. I have to move it over and resize it to use. The tool bar is also missing in the email window. Only the <send> button bar is visible whereas I normally had the <file> <edit> <tools> etc before.

Thank you for the helps so far!

Why on earth are you using word to edit emails? RTE and HTML junkies...

anyway... IS this something that has just started or somthing that has been going on for a while? Also, what OS and version of word are you using? What has changed recently on your system? Is this a personal machine or a company computer?

Good luck...

Inaris wrote:
Why on earth are you using word to edit emails? RTE and HTML junkies...
Ignorance to a better setting? School me...I'm open to changes and especially changes for the better.

Inaris wrote:
anyway... IS this something that has just started or somthing that has been going on for a while? Also, what OS and version of word are you using? What has changed recently on your system? Is this a personal machine or a company computer?
Yes. This just started yesterday...after I got back to my desk from lunch.

Win XP

Word 2000...I believe, but I cannot get to the "help" to see 'cause there is no tool bar.

Changes? None that I'm aware of.

Company PC

I've contacted our IT dept., but as normal, my "emergency" is not theirs.

Thanks again!!

Well, I'm an IT guy for my company and I guess I can help you... :)
First: Are you a local admin to the machine? To check, goto the control panel and then user accounts. If you can open that without a username password request, you have admin rights. If not then you are a user/poweruser. Another way to test is going to c:\documents and settings\ and trying to open a profile other than yours.
if not, we may have some trouble... but we can give it hell none the less.
Second: Outlook:
Let's start by changing Outlook to not use word...
Open Outlook. Goto tools, then options. Click on the "Mail Format" tab. Uncheck the boxes for using word to edit and read. and then set the compose drop down list to plain text, unless you really need the "advanced" features of Rich Text or HTML.
Then click apply and ok. That will fix the outlook word thing.
Now for Word:
if you launch the app on it's own, does this problem exist?
Try this as well. do the following...
Click start, then Run, and type "appwiz.cpl". This will launch the add remove programs window. Find Microsoft Office 200x and click the support info text that is blue. Then click repair from the two options listed in the window. This will reinstall the application the office suite, but not hurt your settings that you have changed.
Let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom