ms word formatting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
ever since i've moved to office 2007 ive been having formatting problems. with excel there is this saving grace that there's a separate paste button called paste special where i can specify im just trying to copy the formatting, not the text. with word i dont have that luxury.

here's the problem - ive tried taking the text from one word document and inserting that into an already existing document. unfortunately the formatting is off, there are blank lines in between the text that shouldnt be there. given the fact that these are cover letters, this is a big deal. im attaching 2 screen shots below. cover letter 1 is the original, where im copying from, cover letter 2 is where im copying it to.

2vj7gxw.jpg

2zfo9io.jpg

As you can see the formatting is the same. The spacing is the same. If you look intently at the styles bar you can see that although both are in the format of "AaBbCcDd Normal" they're using different formats within the styles bar. I'm guessing that may have some relevance but I dont see how to change that given that they have the exact same text.

Would appreciate help.

Thanks
Dan

Select the text you want, click the 'Line Spacing' button on the formatting toolbar. You'll be able to figure out the rest from there.
paragraph3.png

Also go to the top right and where you see change style, select style set, then select which one you want (probably word 2003).

Use the Format Painter option.

Or if you want to manually remove/adjust the blank spaces, go to Page Layout > under Spacing, adjust the "Before" and "After" values accordingly (use 0 for normal spacing). Do this in conjunction with what SOULphIRE suggested.

Select the text you want, click the 'Line Spacing' button on the formatting toolbar. You'll be able to figure out the rest from there.

already did that before i asked the question. spacing set to 1 in both.

Also go to the top right and where you see change style, select style set, then select which one you want (probably word 2003).

style is same as i mentioned. or at least looks to be the same. in the style toolbar.

[QUOTE ]Use the Format Painter option.[/QUOTE]

actually i tried this as well before posting. this somewhat worked, it got me closer to what i was trying to achieve but i couldnt really figure it out. if this is the correct thing i'll google it and see what it does. i didnt really get what you meant in the rest of your response ie before and after spacing, i thought there was just line spacing, i will look into that.

thanks folks.

Do you see the Page Layout tab at the top? Go there, and on the right side of the ribbon menu, there's a section called 'Spacing' with options for 'Before' and 'After'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom