MS Update suspect

SpenceQ

Baseband Member
I'm on dialup. (WinXP Pro sp3)

I noticed MS seems to be ignoring my system setup.

Before I dial up my modem I set services.msc to off. If I feel i have free time, I dial up and go to programs/windows Updates and the typical Explorer screen comes up and MS does it's stuff. When it's complete I noticed the yellow shield pop up in my tray. A click of that says " 0% downloaded".

When I bring up services.msc again, I set this to off, immediately the shield disappears. My guess is that MS is retrieving other information.

I notice also that on occasion if I restrict Update, ESET Security seems to come active and starts downloading, which gives me the suspicion they are in cahouts somehow.

Some downloads are 15 meg, and when I turn my computer on and it's not a weekend, then I usually need to work on it right away with total control. MS hogs all the transfer.

I think what is needed on dialup is something which was available for memory allocation in the 80's. This way you can assign packet transfer priority to the application itself. I know this technology is too antiquated to spark any interest from MS.

Going to high speed is not an option and I'd pay a million to get it, but that's
environmentally impossible right now. We're planning to move soon so it's temporary.

Thanks for the help.

No Microsoft is not getting any additional information. That Shield that you notice is downloading the updates. So by you setting the services.msc to off, you are disabling your updates yourself.

Eset and Microsoft are not in cahoots either.

The services.msc service runs so that Microsoft Update knows what updates are currently installed, what updates are needed and what updates are available for your system. Since not every update pushed out is needed for every system.

So your the one that is causing Microsoft to not push the updates to your system. Microsoft needs to check the system to know what is needed, it just doesn't have the information stored on its servers for every system that is out there. It just doesn't push every update, as stated, not every update is needed. So you need to leave services.msc running so that Windows Update can do what is needed and update your system properly.

Back
Top Bottom