Ms took my OS because I got new hardware. What give

EricB

Chillin Techie
All of my computer got the free windows 10 upgrades. Then they start having problem especially with the hard drive crashing. My faster computer just always crash since windows 10 so I got a new mobo, processor.

I tried a fresh install of 10. It won't activate and it said I needed to go back to 8 or 7 first activate then upgrade. Then I can install a fresh copy. So I reinstall windows 8, try to activate it and it won't go through. The automatic telephone tell me that my number of times using it has been exceeded and won't let me talk to someone.

So I go back and reinstall win 7 enterprise. I activate it and go to upgrade and it tell me that Enterprise isn't eligible for an upgrade.

So I'm stuck with windows 7 because ms sell broken products. Help

No, Enterprise 7 does not qualify for the free upgrade, You'll have to use 7/8.1 Pro, Ultimate or Home to be eligible. You lost your activation because you replaced your motherboard. Microsoft locks the license for 10 to your hardware, so when you replaced that motherboard, you broke your license. If you still want 10 for free, then you'll need to format the enterprise version of 7 and put either Ultimate 7/8.1, Pro 7/8.1 or Home 7/8.1 version on it. If you did have an Enterprise version of 10 on your pc before you replaced the motherboard, then you'll have to go back to whomever it was you got that key from

Last edited:
^ Depends on the license of the previous OS's. If they were OEM...he's locked in. If they were retail, the retail transfer rights are still supposed to be applied to the Win10 upgrade as well (though I haven't actually verified this).

In any case...you're supposed to be able to take the latest ISO from MS for Win10 and just enter in the Win7/8.1 key for activation directing in the install screen.

But yes, like Joe said, activation has changed with Win10. It's always been that way for OEM technically, people were just able to get around it with a loophole by calling in. Now they've locked it down more, so to speak, so it's harder to get around transferring OEM licenses to new systems (and a new CPU/motherboard count as a new system - unless it's the same model of CPU and board - then it counts as a repair and not a new system).

I'll try entering the windows 8 serial. I had 7 enterprise, 8 home as I seriously scaled back my computer usage

Last edited:
Last edited:
Doesn't matter. You can not get the free upgrade to Windows 10 with the Enterprise version
https://redmondmag.com/blogs/the-schwartz-report/2015/01/enterprise-editions-not-free.aspx
Don't know or can't say why the OP had an Enterprise version

I know and I wasn't referencing that fact. I was referring to this part of your post:

No, Enterprise 7 does not qualify for the free upgrade, You'll have to use 7/8.1 Pro, Ultimate or Home to be eligible. You lost your activation because you replaced your motherboard. Microsoft locks the license for 10 to your hardware, so when you replaced that motherboard, you broke your license. If you still want 10 for free, then you'll need to format the enterprise version of 7 and put either Ultimate 7/8.1, Pro 7/8.1 or Home 7/8.1 version on it. If you did have an Enterprise version of 10 on your pc before you replaced the motherboard, then you'll have to go back to whomever it was you got that key from

I'll try entering the windows 8 serial. I had 7 enterprise, 8 home as I seriously scaled back my computer usage
If you have a Windows 8 serial, and if that's for Windows 8 Home, then you'll only be eligible to install Windows 10 Home as an upgrade

Just curious - You get the Win Ent KMS key from work? or is this a old work PC (that was on the domain)?

I have another Windows 7 Home premium serial and the win 10 fresh install accepted that

Back
Top Bottom