MS Small Business Server 2003 mail problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wineo

Beta member
I am no guru at using MS Small Business Server (SBS) 2003 and I have this mailing problem that I just cannot work out.

The Problem:
The server is not sending emails throught the exchange. On each of the Win XP pro workstations on the network we are using Outlook 2003 as the mail client. There are two email accounts on each login. One is the email account associated with the exchange - to use and share the calendar and internal mail. The other is a POP3 account to retrieve external mail.

One of the smaller problems is that each pc when started will always default to the exchange account in Outlook, no matter what I do to get it to remain on the POP3 account that I have defaulted it to. Sending mail through the exchange is just getting bounced back from this SBS. The error message I get is:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
Subject: subject
Sent: 4/12/2004 11:47 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

name @otherisp.com.au on 6/12/2004 12:03 PM
Could not deliver the message in the time limit specified. Please retry or contact your administrator.
<mail.isp.net.au #4.4.7>
So it seems that it is not being able to send it through the isp.

Sending it through the POP3 account works fine (it bypasses the server). If only I could set the Outlook to keep the default to the POP3 account! It would be ideal though to get the exchange to mail out correctly.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
wineo

did you configure your exchange server( SBS2k3) to use your ISPs SMTP server to relay through?

sbs.JPG

for some reason, the image isn't available yet. check back...

it almost appears as if the email address you sent it to wasn't available.

do you have a firewall between the internet and the sbs2k3 instance?

under exchange system manager
look under servers (you only have one)
protocols-->SMTP-->
right click->Default SMTP virtual server->properties
this is where you can manage smtp services of sbs

but i don't think this is going to solve your problem after reading the error a couple times...was the message received from your ISP?

Thanks the image is there!

I have checked all these settings and I have done so correctly.

The msg looks like it is from the internal server...

kirkmears said:
was this the name of your domain? mail.isp.net.au
does your ISP allow SMTP relaying?

kirk

Don't worry! I have worked it out!

I have turn port blocking off a while back on my ISP's settings in my account admin area, and for some reason this was toggled back to on. So all my mail from the server was not been allowed through. I have turned it back off and it is all working fine now.

Thank you very much for all your help! Much appreciated!

wineo

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom