MS silverlight videos..

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
Hi, I went to nbcolympics.com to hopefully watch some videos of the Olympics, I had to download MS silverlight to watch videos. My computer can handle youtube videos fine, so why can't it play silverlight videos, the sound is fine but the video is choppy and takes the enjoyment out of watching the video. Is it because I am using firefox and not IE?

Thanks,
35g700

I would definitely try Internet Explorer, but the servers may simply be overloaded. Millions of people are accessing those videos simultaneously. I've seen quality problems as well on many different computers at various times. I don't think it has anything to do with hardware, network connection, resources, or anything that you can control.

Sivlerlight is a IE only application. It is a Microsoft version of Flash that is not implemented on Firefox or any other browser. Must use IE!

Cheers,
Mak

Ummm, not so fast... I can play them in Firefox, the sliverlight plug-in is listed in my add ons under plug-ins. Not sure what I did, but I can watch them in firefox. I 'think' what I did was not install silverlight from microsoft, but tried to launch a silverlight video and it prompted me to install a plug-in, and when it did, installed it for firefox & IE. See the screenshot.

Ummm, not so fast... I can play them in Firefox, the sliverlight plug-in is listed in my add ons under plug-ins. Not sure what I did, but I can watch them in firefox. I 'think' what I did was not install silverlight from microsoft, but tried to launch a silverlight video and it prompted me to install a plug-in, and when it did, installed it for firefox & IE. See the screenshot.

That's because it works in FF2, but it doesn't work in FF3 because of how they changed the plugin architecture. FF3 final wasn't out when they released Silverlight 1, so it's not supported.

The good news is that Silverlight 2 beta 2 is out and it now supports Firefox 3.

Edit:
I just tried it out, and I couldn't get it to work. I've heard from other people that they got it to work with FF3. If anyone gets it to work, let us know how.

Edit Again:
I guess it actually works; it just doesn't work with some sites. With those stubborn sites you have to use IE.

Yes. Silverlight 1 works with Firefox 2. I do not recommend Betas to people to use that is why i didnt mention it to try it in Firefox 3. Betas can be unstable and make the system unstable. Plus they dont always work as Forrest said. Which is why just using it in IE is you best option cause it is designed to work for it. It even works with IE8 Beta.

Cheers,
Mak

I've had it working on FF3 since FF3 came out. Silverlight is version 2.0.30523.8. It may be the Beta, but it has worked good for me so far, but... I haven't seen very many pages that use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom