MS Outlook - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2003, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default MS Outlook

I use MS outlook 2000 on a windows 98 SE machine. An issue I am having is I receive a mail notification in my system tray even though MS Outlook isn't open. I have the product set up to check for new mail every minute but I believe only occurs when it is open.

When I do open/start MS outlook and open up all new mail, the notification in the system tray remains there. Even when I close outlook it is still there. The only way to remove it is to reboot.

Can someone tell me why this is happening and what I need to do to prevent it from happening? Your help is appreciative

Old 09-12-2003, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

There is probably a program running that is checking your mail and notifiying you when you receive a new e-mail. Is MSN Messenger running? AIM running? Maybe Outlook just isn't closing itself when you close it.

Does it to do this when you first boot your computer? If so, an application is either doing it or you can try configuring your start up items.

Go to start->run->msconfig (i think itll work in 98 haven't used 98 in a long time).. and select "Startup" and if you see Outlook anywhere UNCHECK it.

Restart and send yourself an email.

Also, yes for 1 minute to check for new mail that is for WHEN the program is started .

Good luck!

Current PC
Windows 7 Pro x64
AMD 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
ASUS Crossfire III
Corsair 650 Watt
Sapphire ATI 5770
500GB Samsung*2 | 150GB VelicoRaptor 10K HDD
1TB Samsung
C# Programmer+Web Programmer
Gamer :)
Old 09-30-2003, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm still having the same problem. Does anyone know whats causing this and what to do to prevent it?
Closed Thread