MS Installer...MS Single Image...MS Program Configuration...!@#$%^&*!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4man

Baseband Member
i understand the new (& also weird) 'ms office' protocol...whereby, when one attempts to open an office program...a 'Microsoft Installer' progress window pops up & runs BEFORE the app opens. it's annoying, but tolerable 'cause at least it's fast (know this because i installed 'publisher' last year).

but I just purchased 'microsoft office home & business 2010'...so i could go back to outlook (& get rid of windows live mail)...& in outlook...the Microsoft Installer window runs longer than usual...& then...seemingly w/ every e-mail account that gets opened for incoming mail...another progress window pops up called 'Microsoft Single Image'...& that keeps coming up & up; & just takes forever.

ALSO: in ms word...a 'program configuration' window pops up & runs...& that one REALLY takes a long time

i really need to get rid of this nonsense, or i'm going back to live mail...will have no choice.

anyone have any ideas...???

thanx,

mark4man

but I just purchased 'microsoft office home & business 2010'...so i could go back to outlook (& get rid of windows live mail)...& in outlook...the Microsoft Installer window runs longer than usual...& then...seemingly w/ every e-mail account that gets opened for incoming mail...another progress window pops up called 'Microsoft Single Image'...& that keeps coming up & up; & just takes forever.
anyone have any ideas...???

mark4man

Yes, this should help out with the microsoft single image issue:
Microsoft office single image 2010
Quoted from^
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
"How to back up and restore the registry in Windows" How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP

Please negative to following registry entry, and delete the key test if it helps.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CurrentVersion

Follow that link and it will help out some with fixing the issue.

mike...

I don't have that in my registry...there is no 'current version' under 'windows search'

ALSO...maybe related...went to control panel; & attempted to repair outlook, hoping to change how it loads...& 'repair' never comes up...the options only go to 'change'. I also get a Click-2-Run configuration failure notice:

clicktorun.jpg

mike...

I don't have that in my registry...there is no 'current version' under 'windows search'

ALSO...maybe related...went to control panel; & attempted to repair outlook, hoping to change how it loads...& 'repair' never comes up...the options only go to 'change'. I also get a Click-2-Run configuration failure notice:

clicktorun.jpg

I don't know what the heck is up with your installation with office but try this.
Remove windows live mail fully if it came with a windows live installer.
Check on change options from uninstaller and remove it that way and anything else you don't want.

Remove your current installation of Microsoft office 2010 home and business and reboot.
Did you purchase a dvd version of office or digital download ?
If you purchased a DLM of office microsoft will embed your product key inside the installation.
Now start the installation of office 2010 again, pick which programs you need from it including outlook.
If it ask you to update office after installing tell it to wait and download later.

Start office outlook and configure and see what happens.
If anything windows update will begin to offer you updates for it.
Look at the patch info by clicking on it and see if its what you need or not.

I am dealing with office 2010, I haven't got the same issue like yours but I can understand why it would drive you up the wall.

Lastly if you have any live outlook settings you want office 2010 to use see if it will import it without the thing choking to death.

1) I think i realize the problem: Click-2-Run is GONE! (& consequentially...evrything office related is loading via MSI (MS Single Image)...(which is the real annoying one, imo).

but what happened was...someone in another ms forum told me to run ms fix it...& when I did...it completely uninstalled click-2-run.

so I guess the 2 questions now are:

1) can I (& should I) get Click-2-Run back...& if so...is that the key to NOT seeing those annoying MS Single Image windows...???

2) I also received instructions on...now that click-2-run is gone...where to go to download MS Single Image. if I do so...is that the way to go...i.e., will I still get those annoying multiple windows as each account opens in outlook?

(& also...don't forget...in control panel...I cannot repair outlook or anything else)

thanx again,

mark4man

1) I think i realize the problem: Click-2-Run is GONE! (& consequentially...evrything office related is loading via MSI (MS Single Image)...(which is the real annoying one, imo).

but what happened was...someone in another ms forum told me to run ms fix it...& when I did...it completely uninstalled click-2-run.

so I guess the 2 questions now are:

1) can I (& should I) get Click-2-Run back...& if so...is that the key to NOT seeing those annoying MS Single Image windows...???

2) I also received instructions on...now that click-2-run is gone...where to go to download MS Single Image. if I do so...is that the way to go...i.e., will I still get those annoying multiple windows as each account opens in outlook?

(& also...don't forget...in control panel...I cannot repair outlook or anything else)

thanx again,

mark4man

Its alright, just download from ms again on this page and follow these instructions it should make it much more easier on you.

Click-to-Run: Switch to using an MSI-based Office edition - Excel - Office.com
Funny though if you had a physical disk I would just forget the download from ms and just do it that way.
But if all yout got is a DLM copy thats one way to do it online only, and there is different way to do it as well which I can't say here.

Let me know what happens.

Try this. Start>Run>Cmd, right click select run as Admin. There type in this command:

Code:
sfc /scannow

That is the system file checker for Windows. It will check your system files make sure they are all there and operational.

thanx...

wanted to let everyone know that I finally phoned MS support & got this resolved.

The problem was 2-fold...

1) MS Office 2010 Starter was still installed, corrupted (& uninstallable) & corrupting the configuration of MS Office Home & Business 2010.

2) MS Installer was, for some unexplained reason, gone (?).

FIX) after uninstalling all apps related to office, due to MS Installer being kaput, a newly downloaded version of Office Home & Business could not be installed. the tech(s) installed it (Installer) from my OEM disc by initiating a repair of the OS (while saving all files, folders, settings, etc.)

once that occured, office was installed anew; & WORD is now working correctly

(also...as a result of the repair...Programs & Features is also now working correctly).

thanx for ur help,

mark4man

thanx...

wanted to let everyone know that I finally phoned MS support & got this resolved.

The problem was 2-fold...

1) MS Office 2010 Starter was still installed, corrupted (& uninstallable) & corrupting the configuration of MS Office Home & Business 2010.

2) MS Installer was, for some unexplained reason, gone (?).

FIX) after uninstalling all apps related to office, due to MS Installer being kaput, a newly downloaded version of Office Home & Business could not be installed. the tech(s) installed it (Installer) from my OEM disc by initiating a repair of the OS (while saving all files, folders, settings, etc.)

once that occured, office was installed anew; & WORD is now working correctly

(also...as a result of the repair...Programs & Features is also now working correctly).

thanx for ur help,

mark4man

Not a problem man,by the way I know your quite ticked at your machine but your 2 thread title names was funny.
I guess we all get more ****ed off at our computers over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom