Mozilla Thunderbiurd 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
Hi there -

I have always used internet email as my email provider - eg hotmail, gmail, ymail etc. I've decided to give thunderbird 2.0 a shot and have set it up as a popmail etc. I decided to try thunderbird as it looks good. My question is - Is it a worthwhile adventure or am I wasting my time as using gmail directly is just as good?

IMO a "proper" email client is always better than a web based service.

I agree. I like to have my mail local. If i am out somewhere i can use the web interface, but i like to have the mail on my machine ready for access at any time. Even if i dont have a net connection.

Thanks for the advice. Suppose using a client mail server means you have a backup of all your emails aswell. That would save running any mail backup software. Got to say thunderbird seems a bit more sturdier that web based accounts.

What you do is setup GMail to archive your email. So all you have to do for a backup is go to the web interface, click on All Mail and there they are.

If you format you can even download all the mail again from within the settings menu. So you can always have it on your PC.

so if i have like Windows live mail and i connect to my gmail and yahoo, ect. i wont need to be connected to the internet to read my mail?

You will have to be connected to download the mail. But then you can disconnect to read it. Yahoo you will have to use something called YPOPS. It doesnt just work like GMail will.

I have Thunderbird open all of the time, and I have two Gmail accounts I actively use.

It's very nice and like the others said I prefer to have my mail local if I can. Web based is just a nice feature that's a last resort, IMO.

I adjusted the server settings on thunderbird to re-scan for new emails every minute, so I always know when I get email right away, unlike web based layouts that only show me new email after I refresh the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom