Moving windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
Ok, so when I upgraded to 7 I didn't know it was recommended to have windows running on another partition. Is there anyway I can move windows without any reinstallation or file/program loss?

Could I copy the partition, delete all the files but windows on one, delete windows on the other and have it work?

Does windows really need to be moved or is it mostly a precaution to have it in another partition?

It isnt that you should have Windows on another partition. It is to have your personal data on another partition in case you have to format. This way you dont lose your documents, pictures, music and your stuff when you format. Windows should be left alone but your stuff should be taken off of there.

Agreed that all the stuff you can't afford to lose should be on a separate partition during upgrades--there is nothing worse than during an upgrade and something goes horribly wrong

Yes that way in the event something catastrophic occurs you wouldn't need to worry plus if you are like me you have gigs of music, movies, and pics--it would save space if on a sep drive

Well that is definitely a good idea though music i won't need to worry about since zune can pull music from a player to the pc so it's backed up already.

Thank you both now I have a new project, RE-organize my drives. lol

I have a separate drive for my personal files then I also have a usb drive I back that up to.

Speaking of organizing files I really should do it with my music but the idea of re-arranging my files (itunes says I have 54 days of music) just doesn't excite me

I already have a backup flash but a partition is now in order.

See that's why I've named and ordered my songs since day one plus I'm anal retentive about not having Unknown artists or songs lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom