moving program files/user accounts

damiancds

Baseband Member
I recently bought an ssd, and I plan on having just windows, and my games (steam and origin, plus some extras) installed on it, everything else will be installed on a regular hdd. (I want to move everything, except what windows needs, then install steam/ origin there, and install everything else on a separate drive) I've heard of people changing the default locations, and I'd like to know the best way how. I'm also holding off installing any drivers til I get this sorted out. Also, I have windows 7 pro

Thanks,

I recently bought an ssd, and I plan on having just windows, and my games (steam and origin, plus some extras) installed on it, everything else will be installed on a regular hdd. (I want to move everything, except what windows needs, then install steam/ origin there, and install everything else on a separate drive) I've heard of people changing the default locations, and I'd like to know the best way how. I'm also holding off installing any drivers til I get this sorted out. Also, I have windows 7 pro

Thanks,

Sounds like a good plan, you could make a image of your os and restore it directly to the ssd ?
Your only is making sure you have enough data to move it.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup - Windows 7 Forums

I haven't used their guide but I did this last year twice, had a stable os for almost 2 years without drama.

The only thing I must I stress to you, is make sure when you image the os, you don't bring along its problems it may have now, such as errors or any system lag.
Clean up any debris and such using ccleaner or a free trial of system mechanic basic 11 from iolo.com.

Should take less than 1 hour to do, let me know if it helps. ;)

After reading that guide and seeing it's limitations, I have a pretty awesome theory that I think could benefit people, if anyone was interested. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work if done carefully and properly. This would save as much space on an SSD as you would want and can be done after any stage of your current installation. You could move your entire user account folder or any folder for that matter onto a large HDD and only keep the files that you want your SSD to load quickest- on your SSD. It involves no registry editing or current/future shortcut link changes, and no problem with future installation of anything, regardless as to whether the installer gives you an option of where to install the files (as long as they are coded to go into a directory you have previously moved, they will always go the HDD). You could even do it to folders in the windows directory that windows doesn't access regularly.

The only downside this would have is that if any drives involved were to fail, your install becomes completely useless, and you'd need to rely on a backup.

Last edited:
Moving the User Account folder will do nothing. Your programs do not install to the User Folder. Some data does go there, but not all. Some data goes into the User Roaming folder, but again the main program will be installed to the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder. Not to mention, the Registry will point to those locations as well.

So moving just the User folder does nothing. Not to mention, you cant move over all of those files. I have tried and you get an error cause some of those files are currently in use by Windows and cant be moved. You will get an error when trying.

So you will still be loading up the SSD with files and still be using it to the fullest if you just try to move the User Folder. It will require the Registry Edits.

Moving the User Account folder will do nothing. Your programs do not install to the User Folder. Some data does go there, but not all. Some data goes into the User Roaming folder, but again the main program will be installed to the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) folder. Not to mention, the Registry will point to those locations as well.

So moving just the User folder does nothing. Not to mention, you cant move over all of those files. I have tried and you get an error cause some of those files are currently in use by Windows and cant be moved. You will get an error when trying.

So you will still be loading up the SSD with files and still be using it to the fullest if you just try to move the User Folder. It will require the Registry Edits.

What I said above goes far beyond moving the user folder, and I only said you could. I didn't mean to sound like I was only moving the USER folder. I was of course talking about all your entire program files (both of them) as well, without registry hacks.The biggest deal is, as I stated, you could do it at anytime, it doesn't have to be after a fresh install.
Plus I'm not referring to trying to move any files in use while windows is running, I'm not dumb.

My method would include using xcopy, deleting folders that are moved and then creating junctions, all from within a WinPE live environment. In the end windows wouldn't care where the folders and files are actually located, because it still 100% thinks they are in the normal places. The only problem I can imagine in this scenario is the possibility that the junctions themselves might not recreate the same appearance of each linked folder's attributes and permissions.

What I said above goes far beyond moving the user folder, and I only said you could. I didn't mean to sound like I was only moving the USER folder. I was of course talking about all your entire program files (both of them) as well, without registry hacks.The biggest deal is, as I stated, you could do it at anytime, it doesn't have to be after a fresh install.
Plus I'm not referring to trying to move any files in use while windows is running, I'm not dumb.

My method would include using xcopy, deleting folders that are moved and then creating junctions, all from within a WinPE live environment. In the end windows wouldn't care where the folders and files are actually located, because it still 100% thinks they are in the normal places. The only problem I can imagine in this scenario is the possibility that the junctions themselves might not recreate the same appearance of each linked folder's attributes and permissions.

Hmm, I still say that he images the os, restores it to his ssd.
Once done, all he would need to do is uninstall any remaining programs on his c: ssd partition and make a ntfs partition on his old hdd and just install his programs like he wanted to do in the beginning.
On his old hdd, he should allow about 120gb partition to it and let it be.

I see both of your statements, it may indeed work, but its too much damn hassle.
Cut him a break and let him image it, less hassle and struggle he'll be back up and running within less than 12 hours. :)

Hmm, I still say that he images the os, restores it to his ssd.
Once done, all he would need to do is uninstall any remaining programs on his c: ssd partition and make a ntfs partition on his old hdd and just install his programs like he wanted to do in the beginning.
On his old hdd, he should allow about 120gb partition to it and let it be.

I see both of your statements, it may indeed work, but its too much damn hassle.
Cut him a break and let him image it, less hassle and struggle he'll be back up and running within less than 12 hours. :)

Yeah, I should have been more clear, my idea was not a suggestion to the OP. I had just read the link KSoD put up and it inspired me. I already knew that my idea would be a project that would be like rocket science for someone who isn't experienced with the kind of stuff I suggested. Much easier to just make the registry change. Also if you read the OP your suggestion is kinda useless too :) lol It appears he already has re-installed windows (he said he's holding off on the driver install) and was waiting for a response on how he should handle what he wants to do between the two drives. So KSoD's link we'll probably work out for him.

Last edited:
Yeah, I should have been more clear, my idea was not a suggestion to the OP. I had just read the link KSoD put up and it inspired me. I already knew that my idea would be a project that would be like rocket science for someone who isn't experienced with the kind of stuff I suggested. Much easier to just make the registry change.

Heh, I really dont care much, as long as the end user gets what he came for is all that matters.
If Mak read this offline, he probably threw his drink across the room earlier and shatter it when he saw your replies.
You'll get along better with him once you know him quite well and his hot temper, as for me I leave him be and let him do his own thing which mostly works out best.
:D

Heh, I really dont care much, as long as the end user gets what he came for is all that matters.
If Mak read this offline, he probably threw his drink across the room earlier and shatter it when he saw your replies.
You'll get along better with him once you know him quite well and his hot temper, as for me I leave him be and let him do his own thing which mostly works out best.
:D

LOL, well I hope he doesn't break more stuff if he reads my last post because the rocket scientist thing wasn't even in reference to him :/ It was just me trying to explain to you that I wasn't expecting the OP to want to do something so complicated :)

Back
Top Bottom