Moving all my windows stuff to another drive. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Post Moving all my windows stuff to another drive.

When I first installed XP, I have no idea it would take up so much disk space. I installed XP on a 2gb partition (go me :x). I also have 2 other drives, one being 10gb and the other being 60 (with 15gb left). I want to move XP to one of them. How would I do this? Should I just reinstall XP to one of those drives?

Old 04-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Reinstall it on the 60 giga-bye drive. Keep back up, on the 2 GB. Keep songs movies etc, on the 10 GB.

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to M4A1

Good call. I have a 40GB primary storage then a 60GB secondary storage (of which I bought later with Maxtor). I have all my songs and stuff on my 60GB. Ironically enough, just a second ago my G:\ restored itself somehow. It had previously given me an error saying that it's done and it's going to quit storing my files, so it denied me access for a few days. Then I just clicked on the icon a few minutes ago and now everything is there. Life changing experience, I know.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Use a program called Ghost to do it. Will move everything in a perfect state. Problem is the 60GB needs to be clean, or you loose it. It's the best way to move the whole thing without really loosing anything, as far as the 2gig setup goes...
Closed Thread