Movie Maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
My laptop came with Vista Home Premium. I switched to XP due to preference. Now, I'm starting to consider the fact that I should tolerate Vista for the sake of learning it since my field is in technical support.

Thing is, I made a slideshow on it and I'm not done with it. It's about 22 minutes long already, and I have more to do. I want to save the entire data file, music, pictures and all. I don't want to have to re-select every picture in it and re-coordinate everything... considering I have about 15,500 pictures in my system, that'd be a headache to search for the pictures again.

How can I save the entire data file? I intend to push it to my Ubuntu machine to back it up, then re-import it when I get Vista installed.

Help?

Hello,

Sadly you will not be able to just continue the project. XP uses a different version of Movie Maker than Vista. Vista's is much newer and i am not sure if you can import a old project and finish it.

I would say finish the project first or dual boot. It would be a shame to lose the work already done.

Cheers,
Mak

How easily would it work if he just saved the current project as an .avi file or something and imported it unfinished into Vista's Movie maker? Couldn't he just picked up relatively easily from there?

Jorsoft,

I can see where you are going with that. But at the same time i dont think it would work as flawlessly as intended.

Sadly i can not give a ultimate answer as i have never tried to do it. I am just going by what i know of MM for both XP and Vista.

That is why i suggested for it to be finished first as i would hate to say "Yeah go for it" just to find out you cant import the file.

Cheers,
Mak

I would say no...but he could maybe use it as a template of sorts.
since the project files don't actually render anything into the stream until it's time to do so...texts and effects exist digitally as opposed to "rendered" (ie., can be edited etc)

Well I don't know much about MM either. I used it once for a school project and never again.....

So I think exporting the movie might be the closest thing unless he can export the current selections as a template or something. Are you sure no converter exists for this?

edit: checked it out, no converter or anything, that kinda sucks to be honest. Guess you're hosed unless you can finish up everything first. Sorry for the DP btw ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom