Movie Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
I give up trying to create my own database in MS Access because of some crappy error. What I would like to know though, if it has any software which is specifically designed to keep track of movies owned/watched? Seems weird I want to keep this, but I do have movies lying around and I would like someway of keeping order.

Things that I would like to keep track for each entry is basically:
  • Name
  • Genre
  • Year of Release
  • IMDb link (optional)

Edit: Found this "Invelos Software, Inc.'s DVD Profiler" but I'm still open to suggestions if any.

Hands down, the best free software out there is called GrieeX. I've tried a few, but it easily offered the best features, as well as a few nifty tricks like adding a small picture file of each movie you enter, drawn from a number of online sources. There's another one out there (can't remember the name unfortunately) that is possibly a touch better, but it costs. Give GrieeX a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed. (And no, I don't work for, or have any connection to, the guy who created it!) Here's the link - GrieeX Movie Archive Program

I too have been down the road of creating Access Data bases. I used to own an online book business and wasn't happy with much of what was out there, so I painstakingly taught myself how to use Access and created a program that worked wonderfully for me. I thought about doing something similar for my CD/Cassette/LP collection (I have thousands of the latter!) as well as for my VHS tapes and DVD's, but it just wasn't worth the effort - there's some really nice stuff out there these days. I use MediaMonkey for my music, GrieeX for movies, and of course I keep my Access data base for use with my own book collection.

Best of luck with archiving your collection.

PS - GrieeX has one particular feature you asked for - there's a check box where you can mark if you've seen a movie or not. And of course it draws it's information from IMDB.

Ah sweet, I'll give it a try. Looks pretty neat just from the listed features and screenshots on the website. Invelos was a kind of trial product though, it remains free after a limited amount...just with reduced features :(. Guess I'll be switching to GrieeX :).

Hey timboW.... took you up on your recoomendation... pretty good... even though that was my first movie database software download :)

how are you liking it joel?

Just an FYI, collectorz.com software are some pretty awesome databases. there are a few codes you can use to get a discount with them as well and you can view your collections on your Android, ipod/iphone/ipad or create a web page instantly along with all sorts of other tight abilities i.e. print out and create covers for your DVD's, Games or whatever.

Just an FYI, collectorz.com software are some pretty awesome databases. there are a few codes you can use to get a discount with them as well and you can view your collections on your Android, ipod/iphone/ipad or create a web page instantly along with all sorts of other tight abilities i.e. print out and create covers for your DVD's, Games or whatever.

Looks cool but I don't need all those features, thanks for the input though :).

Glad to see it's working well for you Joel - you too, Fusion. As I said, I trialled about a dozen of the freebies, and GrieeX was easily the best. Hats off to the guy who created it.

That such a decent program comes free is awesome, particularly when compared to so many others I've bought through the years of varying types that were just utter crap or bug infested. I guess I could even throw some versions of Windows into that mix as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom