Move Windows temp files and paging file off SSD?

I wouldn't normally recommend turning them off on a system based on purely mechanical HDDs, but SSD performance reduces after data has been written, so if you want to maintain your SSDs blistering performance for the maximum amount of time, you want to keep the read/writes to a minimum - the page file does countless read/writes.

I wouldn't normally recommend turning them off on a system based on purely mechanical HDDs, but SSD performance reduces after data has been written, so if you want to maintain your SSDs blistering performance for the maximum amount of time, you want to keep the read/writes to a minimum - the page file does countless read/writes.

It's more how much space that takes up an SSD affects the performance, not so much the write count.

SSD's don't have a read count limit though either.

Guess I'm not sure - though I'd imagine it wouldn't be anything noticeable at all and only noticeable in benchmarking if it did indeed affect it.

What does affect real world performance is having a full SSD - that can potentially slow it down IIRC.

I was under the impression that once a block of memory had been written to, it slowed down if you ever tried to write to it again?

That is true, thats why you need to leave TRIM and garbage collection (GC) to do their jobs, GC removes the data that has been deleted from the SSD completely, and TRIM balances the usable blocks so its spread evenly throughout the SSD - by telling GC to erase "deleted" data and move used data to a new block.

without TRIM when you want to write to a block that has data on it, the SSD needs to each time tell GC first to delete the data (as it cannot replace with 0s, so no overwriting) then it can write to it, so this can slow the SSD down alot over time.

Last edited:
IMO, it's best to always have it on a different drive, but, if you ever get a BSOD, there is a high chance that the dump file wont get saved, if the system does try to generate one.

Back
Top Bottom