Move Windows temp files and paging file off SSD?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all, I'm rebuilding a Windows install on my gaming computer (mostly used for playing Flight Sim, and a few other various games). I've reinstalled Windows and am starting to make configuration changes.

I've seen it suggested in a few places that moving the pagefile and the temp files off of an SSD onto the first partition of a mechanical HDD can prolong the life of an SSD, due to the reduced writes on the drive. I currently use a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD. I just had a couple of questions around this:

1. Is this still recommended for SSDs (or is this older advice given during the early days of SSDs?)

2. If still recommended, can I have the page file and the temp files on the same drive/partition?

3. How big should the partition be for both (assuming it's possible)?

If I do move page file and/or the temp files, it would be on a 1TB mechanical drive with 2 other partitions. I would put the pagefile/temp file partition first. Just wanted to see if this was still recommended by the community here.

Would very much appreciate any thoughts, feedback, or advice. Thank you as always!

1. Yes it's still generally recommended. Or if you don't need any pagefile at all you can disable it (depending on the amount of memory you have).

2. & 3. Are you saying you want to make a dedicated swap partition for the pagefile? Not really necessary IMO - just move the pagefile onto your HDD and disable it on your system drive (SSD).

1. Yes it's still generally recommended. Or if you don't need any pagefile at all you can disable it (depending on the amount of memory you have).

2. & 3. Are you saying you want to make a dedicated swap partition for the pagefile? Not really necessary IMO - just move the pagefile onto your HDD and disable it on your system drive (SSD).

Thanks CarnageX, I appreciate the feedback.

My thought behind giving the page file and temp files it's own partition was just to make system imaging easier. If I put the temp files and page file on the same partition as my data, when I go to create a system image of the machine, it will read that drive as a system drive and include that in the system image. By putting the page file and temp files on it's own partition I thought I could keep my system image to just the C drive and that partition and have a much smaller system image that didn't include the actual data (which I back up separately).

Last edited:
Fair enough - as long as you have a good enough reason ;).

Much appreciated.

Any idea how large a partition for a page file and the temp files should be (assuming the page file is not disabled)? I was guessing about 20GB but that was just a shot in the dark more than fact.

Depends if you want to set the page file to a fixed size or let it be system-managed. If system-managed, it could easily get double your RAM if under the right circumstances.

Temp files can be pretty dynamic as well - all depends on how often you plan on clearing it out - otherwise you'll start seeing the "Low space" warning popping up frequently.

I wouldn't turn the paging file off, ever... Some programs, (actually many) depend on the pagefile being there for some reason. Honestly if you find your self using the pagefile extensively I would store the page file on a pair of cheap Raid0 mechanical disks.

Back
Top Bottom