Move desktop to different partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I would like to move the "desktop" folder to another partition. By default it is located in docs & settings on the Windows volume.

How do I move it so that every file I drop on my desktop get's stored in D:/desktop for example?

You should start by looking for the reg string with the desktop path in it. I think you can alter this string to the new path.
I don't know how your OS will respond to this alteration. I see instability in its future.

There are many system files that depend on the desktop settings within your registry. I don't see it working properly. Have you heard of this working before Major ?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will maybe try it later on tonight.
I hope it's possible. It would save me a lot of time if Windows stops booting. Happend to me a few weeks ago (nasty virus). I want to move the desktop cause I prefer to store some files on my desktop cause it's the most efficient way when working.

I think that windows will actually re-create your desktop folder in your local profile if every string is not modified. I will do some research and let you know...

You may want to ask Warez about this... He has a lot of tricks up his sleeves when it comes to modifying the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom