Mousover tooltip not appearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalef

Beta member
Hello,

I'm new to these forums, I hope I posted in the correct section :)

I have a rather annoying problem with windows 7 (64-bit, although this happens on the 32-bit system too anyway). By googling a bit I managed to find how to reduce the mousover tooltip delay of windows explorer, and dropped it down to 30 ms (default was 400 ms). Yea, it's appearing faster and all, but... it would seem that if a file is inside 2-3 folders depth, no tooltip appears.

Example: All files on desktop when hovering the mouse over them properly provide a discriptive tooltip with information on that file. But if I try to check some mp3 files located in X:\Random folder\Another random folder\Possible 3rd folder\Song filename.mp3 , no tooltip ever appears. It highly discomforts me, as I have to right-click and select properties for each single song I want to check the ID Tag or the bitrate. And I don't really want to copy everything to desktop just to check them.

Any suggestions?

dding Tooltips/Info tips to any folder
You will end up with something like this one:

1. Click Start button.

2. Type “regedit” there (without quotes) like this screenshot:

3. Right Click over regedit link and select by clicking “Run as Admin..”

4. Accept the security prompt ( if appears). You will get this window:

5. Go to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell :

6. Right Click over it and create a “New Key” :

7. Give it any name, so that you can remember, for example, I have given it “Name“:

8. Now, go to the right sided pane, change value of “Default” to your desired name by right clicking over it and Modifying it which you want to show in Desktop context menu (its very important step). I have chosen ~:: ABHISHEK ::~ in this tutorial.

9. Now right-click on the new key e.g; “Name” and select “New -> Key“. Give the new key name of command.

10. Right click on the default value to modify it:

11. I have used explorer.exe in this example to open Library after clicking my name in context menu. But you can use any other command key as you like.

12. If you end here, the thing will look like this screenshot, but fully functional:

13. For obvious reason, you will want two more things, (1) to change its position and (2) Add an icon to it.

14. For changing the position right click on the right sided pane and create a string value named “position” :

15. You can modify now the data of the string value to “top” or “bottom”

16. Similarly, create another string value, named “icon“. You have to enter the data for the icon string too. If you set it to explorer.exe,13 , it will give the users icon. You can play with the numbers starting from 0 after the comma, each number will give unique icon as compiled under explorer.exe. I have done it in 64 bit version, in 32 bit, the number may be different.

Source

I can't see your screenshot but I did what you said. Although the information I entered in that registry key makes no sense, for some weird reason it seems to be working. Hail the stupidity of windows! Thank you very much :)

Well, I'm glad your happy also yes I had found the information on a windows forum board I have been following recently.
The guy had a screenshot for you to see the registry results but apparently their mods took it down after a couple months.

Enjoy, if you have anymore problems, bring your problems here or pm and I'll see if I can give it another whirl. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom