Mouse and keyboard stopped working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terex

Solid State Member
right after I updated my motherboard's chipset driver. (Intel 865 I believe)

So... to start... during BIOS and the computer's startup, my keyboard and mouse work, but once I hit the Windows loading bar, they both turn off, and I can't log in.

- I have tried plugging them into different slots, and it does not work.
- I have tried a non-USB keyboard, it worked fine. (Haven't tested a mouse, but I'm sure it would work too.)
- I have an expansion card with five USB slots on it, when I plug the mouse/keyboard into that, they don't even flash during the startup.
- I have tried booting into safe mode, they don't work there either.

I may be forgetting something, but hopefully this helps you rule out some possibilities.

Any questions or suggestions, please ask or comment.

Thanks.

I know my BIOS has a setting for a USB keyboard. Make sure (if you have it) that it is yes.

Have you tried unplugging the USB and replugging it? While it is running, that is. Sometimes at boot my mouse won't work and I have to unplug/replug it.

I have tried that, and it doesn't work.

But my Razer DeathAdder's mouse wheel lights up when I unplug and replug it. :/

So which usb ports are not working? Is it just the pci usb card? or is it also the onboard. I would track down a usb>ps2 converter, you should already have a few lying around that came with your keyboard/mouse and check the hardware manager and make sure that there isnt a giant yellow ? next to the usb. It sounds like the usb drivers in windows got hosed since they work in bios.

I currently have another keyboard and another mouse hooked up to the computer in the PS/2 slots (I think that's what they are) and they are working fine.

Just wish I could use my good ones. :/

Well, I've pretty much narrowed it down to a USB problem during Windows.

Can any of you suggest what I should do to make the USB slots work again?

Alright, I installed an updated driver for my DeathAdder and it still doesn't work...

I'll try installing an older chipset driver... :/

IT isnt the Mouse drivers nor the chipset drivers. It is the USB drivers. Google and download CPUz. From there you can see the make and model of you mother board. From there go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have more current drivers for your USB.

Alot of times the chipset drivers include the usb drivers though. And when he updated his chipset drivers thats when this all started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom