Mouse & Keyboard freeze if not logged into Admin XP user account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitO_fly

Beta member
Hi, I've tried searching everywhere for a similar problem but nothing matches my exact problem so I'm not sure what to try... Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!!!!

OK, so I've had a Logitech wireless media mouse for yrs, along with a cheapy keyboard and had no problems. I recently bought a Microsoft wired keyboard (nothing fancy, just more comfortable keys mostly) and I can't get the two to cooperate

Whenever I restart/power on the computer, if I hit any key stroke on the welcome screen, the mouse & keyboard become unresponsive... I have 2 user accounts, mine is the administator and requires a password, which is only "1" character! It usually takes me 4 or 5 reboots before it allows me to hurry up & click on my account, enter the one character, and then press enter (the first several times it locks up as soon as I attempt to enter my password).

OK, so here's what I know. When I am able to log into my account, everythings golden & works fine! I can even "SWITCH" users and manuver around in the secondary user account with no problems, HOWEVER, this is ONLY if my primary account is still logged in, in the background. In other words, if I actually "LOG OUT" of my primary account, then as soon as I get into the secondary account and press any key, it locks up! Therefore, the ONLY way to use the secondary account without locking up, is to log into my primary account, and then "Switch" users (keeping that account logged in in the background), and then go into the secondary account.

I've contact Logitech several times... They had me do a clean install, but that did no help. They also had me install the Logitech software under both user accounts, which I thought may be the answer, but that did not work either.

Some other things I discovered while messing with this.... It makes NO difference wether the Microsoft software/driver are installed for the keyboard. The problem only occurs when the Logitech (setpoint) software is installed, whether the keyboard software is installed along with it or not... Therefore if neither software, or only the keyboard software are installed, I can use the mouse and keyboard together no problem. But, I like the features on the mouse so I really want to use the mouse software so I can configure it!

So the bottom line is, my Logitech mouse and software work fine with my old crappy Dynex wired keyboard, however if the new Microsoft keyboard is plugged in (whether it's software is installed or not), it causes the keyboard & mouse to lock up, UNLESS the primary user account is logged in...

I've been fighting with this for over a month so I REALLY APPRECIATE any suggestions at all!

Thanks again!

Well you will hae to contact Logitech again and tell them their drivers are buggy and need to be patched. That is truly the only answer that can be given. You have tried all the latest drivers and they conflict so that only mean that either Mirosoft or Logitech have to update their drivers to work correctly.

Since the problem isnt the Microsoft drivers it will have to be Logitech. Give the the Microsoft software name and version you are using so they can try to reproduce the effect and correct it.

Other than a updated driver i am sorry to say but you will have to uninstall the logitech software since that is what is causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom