Motherchip Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbienthehouse

Baseband Member
How would I go about changing a motherchip fan? The power cable seems directly connected to a three wired plug. Is it easy as going to a computer shop and getting the right size and just screwing it on?

I mean the fan atop the heatsink. It's very small, would guess about a 60mm. I've got an old AMD running at 450 MHz. I'm also going to get a 120mm for the front of my case and another 80 and custom install it. I know that I can connect the extra fans to the 4 pronged power but I'm guessing that the fan over the heatsink has to be directly connected to the motherboard for temperature reasons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re:

Hello,

...Will an AMD 450Mhz even need a heatsink for the CPU...!?? :p

Ok...Is it an AMD K6-III? There is a K6 at 450Mhz. If so then it has 321-pins on a CPGA array. Not sure what socket that is though :rolleyes: :confused: .

Basically, the heatsink should just clip onto the CPU (with thermal interface between), then the fan should either clip onto or be screwed onto the heatsink, and then the heatsink be plugged up to the motherboards dedicated CPU fan connector (usually a 3-pin socket).

Are you sure you'll need all the other case fans too???

yeah your right, when I booted my comp up it was a k6 450. I guess i'm just going to get another fan for the heatsink, and then one more for the case. My room gets really hot in the summer.
I also have a dell dimension 8300 with 3.0 GHZ 1gig ram 120 gig hd with a dvd drive/cd/dvd burner. It's on my top floor it gets hot as well. It's new and my parents probably wouldn't want me to mess around with it. Is it worth going to a computer shop just for some fans?

Most likely due to shipping costs if you where planning on buying from an Online Retailer.

newbienthehouse said:

I also have a dell dimension 8300 with 3.0 GHZ 1gig ram 120 gig hd with a dvd drive/cd/dvd burner. It's on my top floor it gets hot as well. It's new and my parents probably wouldn't want me to mess around with it. Is it worth going to a computer shop just for some fans?

not really worth it to put it in a computer shop just for a couple of case fans, very easy to put in and its hard to make a mistake on those other then point them in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom