MOre Virtual Memory Issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him
Default MOre Virtual Memory Issue

I posted a thread a while back about virtual memory, I think I posted it, well, anyway, thats beside that point. I have an AMD Athalon XP 2 Ghz with 1024 MB RAM. Here is my problem: This computer is NOT running like a 2 ghz machine with 1 gb of ram should be running, it's more running like my old pentium 3. I screwed with the virtual memory setting a while ago, but before I upgraded to 1024 mb ram. I think possibly since I set my own values for the virtual memory that it is still optimized for 512mb and not 1024, but I'm not sure. This kind of wigs me out, but I'm not sure if it means anything:
This is under the virtual memory thing under my computer/properties/advanced/virtual memory/

Total pagng file size for all drives:
Minimum Allowed: 2 MB
Reccommended: 1534 MB
Currently Allocated: 770 MB

I'm using WIN2K Pro. Any ideas? Should that be wigfging me out? I saw once before that microsoft has an equation for virtual memory, but dammned if I canf ind it.

Old 05-09-2004, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I just let windows do it automatically, Although I would set it to 3 times the ram.

I tried to lower that virtual memory once to make more use of my ram but I just lost performance. Damn windows, time for linux, wish linux ran the big name fps's.

A+, Network+, and powerpoint certified

Studying Linux+
Old 05-09-2004, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

No BSOD's, just overall slowness. I cant change that number, that is just what is displayed. I can only change the initial size and the maximum size, which are 768 and the maximum size 1536. Oh man, the archaic slow speed of my computer is killing me.
Closed Thread