moden not installed after reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude01626

Solid State Member
well.... i don't really know where to start.

I have just reformetted my win 98 pc when and all was going well up to the point when i tried to get the internet going and i found that the modem wasn't installed, so i looked at the manual and it said it should ask if i want to install it when i first boot-up arfter formatting the disk. but it didn't ask me.so now my pc thinks i don't have a modem. and i don't know what make it is ither so i can't install it manuly. i haven't got a disk for it either.

ANY help would be good:bald:

Ok,, this is fixable,,

Unplug the power cable to the PC

First thing ,, OPEN the PC,,and locate the card that is the modem. Remove the retaining screw and gently pull the card out,, ** remember to keep your wrist in contact with the case while performing this action to ground any static charge that you have **

Once you have the card out,, Look for the Centre-Most Large square black chip,, It will have a name on it and a number,, Copy these down,,

and or,, Look on the Green board that the modem is made on,, Look for a Manufacturing tag, company name, modem model number,, COPY these down,, sometimes the model number is embedded right onto the board in gold-looking letters,,

Now here is the issue,, you need internet access to get the drivers from a search using the info that you copied down in a search engine,, This is where you hi-jack your mates machine for access,, download/burn drivers,,

back at home, go into control panel, system, device manager and look for the yellow cirlcle with the question mark with the words "communication device" next to it,,

clik on it, properties, reinstall drivers,, go through wizard and browse to the floppy/cdrom drive with the media that you just copied the drivers to,, next next finish,,

this is a start,, post when this is complete,, there is still more testing to do,,

I would reboot the 98 machine, and then go back into the control panel > look for the MODEM applet,, open it up,, you should see the modem listed there, choose it, then go advanced , and run the TEST MODEM, or DIAGNOSTICS,, this will query the modem with AT commands and tell you right away if all is ready to go,,

IF yes, then setup your dial up,,

surf away,,

cheers,

Ok ive installed the drivers and all that.but the modem is still not there. if i go in to modems on the control panel it tries shearing for a modem but then it said that ther was no new modems.so i tried selecting it off the list but i don't know what type it is.

its intel 56k PCI i know that much and the nombers are.

AMI-IA92/IE92CPCMOP9023-02

and

FCC REG No :US:5RJFB00BAMI-IA92

there are some others i'll give you if you want.
not that i think that there'll be any good to you. :)

instead of picking from the list,, click have disk and point to where the drivers can be found,, when you choose this option, the wizard should identify the modem for you ,,

then proceed with the diagnostics

cheers

add new hardware

dude01626 said:
Ok ive installed the drivers and all that.but the modem is still not there. if i go in to modems on the control panel it tries shearing for a modem but then it said that ther was no new modems.so i tried selecting it off the list but i don't know what type it is.

its intel 56k PCI i know that much and the nombers are.

AMI-IA92/IE92CPCMOP9023-02

and

FCC REG No :US:5RJFB00BAMI-IA92

there are some others i'll give you if you want.
not that i think that there'll be any good to you. :)

Run this from the control panel.put your disk in first,try will search,no results than select i will id it.locate yours then browse to your modem disk,install usually ends with .inf.
good luck.

still not there

yer i've done that but all that happons is i click "have disk" point to the drivers click ok and the list turns blank. it will not let me click next either. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom