Modem question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
If I want to have caller ID over my PC via a modem and if the OS is either vista or Win 7, don't I have to have a modem driver that is compatible with minimum of vista? If it is compatible with vista, what are the chances it works with win 7?

thx

The chances are good, but not 100%. With the changes to the OS from Vista to Win7 the drivers might not work. So you may have to wait till after Oct 22nd to get a modem that can do what you want.

Mak, If I can only find drivers for XP for a modem I assume the modem will highly likely NOT work on vista or Win 7. Do you find this to be true?

thx

<< Not Mak, but you are correct, XP drivers wouldn't work with those OSes.
Maybe, then again maybe not. Vista or Win7 could have the drivers by default which is why drivers were never released.

XP Drivers wont work, but that doesnt mean the device doesnt have drivers at all. It all depends on the age of the modem and what type it is. I know that XP didn't have my modem drivers, yet Vista/Win7 did. So it isnt a end all if there are no Vista Drivers. It could be Microsoft has them already.

But the fact is this, if you have installed it and the drivers dont work, then you have no choice. It dont work. Plain and simple with Win7 the only thing that can be said now is to try it. There maybe drivers, there maybe drivers that need to be updated. It doesnt even hit the market for another 8 days. So there is no working device list and even with the amount of people who have tested it, there is no way we could possibly test every piece of hardware out there.

Can someone plz help me out with a question. I have a pctel pct789t-c modem card in my PC and it can't find the correct drivers for it. When I look on ebay, I found a pctel pct789t-c1 modem card and it says it comes with drivers that are compatible with vista.

I looked around the net for this driver and I have tried a couple that won't work. Why is this? Doesn't make an sense to me. Here is the link to the one on ebay

Internal PCI 56K Modem Card V.92 Voice/DATA/FAX PC - eBay (item 350243531201 end time Sep-22-09 05:32:41 PDT)

thx

XP Drivers wont work, but that doesnt mean the device doesnt have drivers at all.

Right, exactly. There may be drivers for the modem in those OSes for those OSes, but XP drivers wouldn't work on those systems per se. Am I correct now ?

Because PCTel doesnt even have drivers up for that modem themselves anymore. It is a discontinued product and as such there is no way we can give you any help. Any driver found is going to be via a 3rd party site which cant be fully trusted. Modems are like $10. You would be better off buying a new one from Walmart then you would buying one from eBay.

Also that is not a PCTel modem. That is a PCTel chipset. That doesnt mean it is a PCtel modem. Just like mother boards can have Intel chipsets or nvidia chipsets but be from Biostar or EVGA or something like that. It is not labeled and there is no way for us to tell the make or model.

The only hope you have is with the Driver CD. If yours even came with it. If not then there isnt much we can do.

So Mak, do you think the one on ebay is full of crap when they say it is vista compatible? Yes, the correct terminology is pctel chipset but I was under the impression some ppl call them modem cards as well, no?

The chipset does not make the modem. As i said for a example, i have a Biostar mother board, but i have a nvidia chipset. Does that make it a nVidia mother board? No. It is still Biostar's.

I cant say if they are or not. Cause it can technically fall under what is deemed Vista Compatible. Maybe Vista does have drivers for it. I dont know. I cant say. This is why there was a major lawsuit over that term. Cause it is unclear.

I cant say anything for or against the ebay listing just like i cant say anything for or against the card. I dont have enough information to make any kind of statement as such. There is nothing in the listing that can help find drivers as they only list generic information. Which basically can cover just about any modem made from 1996 on. Back around the time when V.92 standard was finished and Modems came compatible with it.

There is nothing myself or anyone here is going to be able to do to help. If you are lucky you can run Belarc Advisor or SiSandra Software to get some information about the card. But as i previously stated, you are much better off going to WalMart. the statement is true "You get what you pay for". It was a cheap modem and as such you haev had nothing but issues with it.

Get one from Walmart where you have more documentation, drivers and at least a make and model with a chance to return it. That is all myself or anyone can suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom