mltiboot problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukyluke

Solid State Member
Hello,

I had setup W98 (on an IDE disk) and XP (on a SCSI disk) on my system.
This was working fine until I had to entirely recover my W98 partition using Norton Ghost.

Unfortunately, the Ghost image was done before XP install, and since the restore, I no longer have the choice of the OS to boot.

I assume that's because XP had written the infos for multiboot support somewhere on my IDE disk, and these infos have been erased during the restore.

Does anyone know if and how I can recover the multiboot, without reinstalling XP ?

Thanks for helping
:confused:

Go into windows and get to your run command. Type "msconfig" ( I think win98 has it) somewhere in there you'll find a place to add a string to a second boot device/OS. I'm at a Win2k system now and it doesn't have it, so someone will have to give you the specifics.

Also you may try going to start|Run| and type notepad boot.ini in the prompt. From there you add the directory of your Windows 98 Installation... i.e. c:\windows or c:\win98. then, you add a equal sign, sans quotes, and then what you want to call said item.

For Example, here's what mine looks like...

[boot loader]
timeout = 5
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="XP Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Yours will obviously vary, but you get the idea. This will do the exact same thing as Lostman described, just a different method.

RE: lost multiboot

Hello,

I started by restoring on my active (W98) partition the XP boot sector erased by Ghost, using a tool called bootpart.

But then it looked for NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and boot.ini , that was installed on the W98 partition during XP install, and which obviously were also missing.
So I restored them as you said.

Then it was able to boot my XP partition, but no longer W98 because he was missing lots of other files in Windows\SYSTEM32 folder, that were also installed on my W98 partition during XP installation.

I finally gave up, too many files from XP install are missing.

I am going to make a ghost image of my current XP partition, overwrite it by reinstalling XP, and then restore the image over the new XP install.

And then

yeah, sounds like there is a lot more to it then just restoring the boot record. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom