Missing my system32 folder - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Missing my system32 folder

I recently discovered my system32 folder has disappeared from sight in the Windows folder. The odd thing is, my computer runs fine, for the most part. I cannot run anything through Start>Run that is in the system32 folder (no CMD or regedit). If I open My Computer and put C:\Windows\System32, I can access the contents of the folder and even run CMD and regedit. However, I cannot run System Restore, it just give me the whole "Encountered an error and needs to close" window. Also, the really bizarre thing is that when I bring up the properties window of the system32 folder, the Hidden check is grayed out and cannot be changed.

The way I discovered that it is missing is that I got a cable modem after moving into my new apartment. When trying to setup the connection to the internet, I went to Start>Run>cmd. It did not work. So instead I did Start>Run>Command. This got me to the command prompt. I did an ipconfig /all. My IP address was Also, oddly enough, my Physical Address was 00-00-00-00-00-00. I tried to do an ipconfig /renew, but it told me there was an error - Access Denied. This is when I started looking around. I don't know if these are related, but I figured I would relay the whole situation in case anyone here can see something in there that may be important.

I saw a few other topics on this forum that were about the same situation, but none of them were resolved. Hopefully someone can help me. I really don't want to have to format my HD.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Open command prompt and type: attrib -a -h -r -s c:\windows\system32

or if that dont work run a repair on windows

Old 12-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay, I'll try that once I get home (at work right now). Do you think that could explain the internet problem though? Or should I take that question to the Networking and Internet board?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

sometimes the file is hidden.
If Its Not Fun Why Do It?
Old 12-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

^^ yeah have you enabled the view hidden files and folders thing?. in windows explorer click on TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW> and tick the "view hidden files and fodlers" box
Closed Thread