Missing .exe - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Missing .exe

I haven't really ever used it so wouldn't know how long it's been missing but today I clicked on 'help and support' (start/help and support) and it came up with an error message saying 'windows cannot find helpctr.exe'. Does anybody know of a way I can retrieve this file WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows XP? In itself that is gonna be difficult as a Windows XP didn't come with this computer. All help much appreciated.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Try "helpctr -regserver" at the run dialog. If that fails, have a look here.

Help & Support does not work.

If that does not work than go to "C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries" and see if you have the "HelpCtr.exe" in the folder. Open the HelpCtr.exe and see if it works. If so you can work around that by pinning it to your Start Menu and removing the original link to clean up your Start Menu.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks tribal sun Unfortunately none of that worked - the link you gave me looked promising but it doesn't tell you what to do with those registry values. It tells you to download it and a bunch of text comes up that I don't know what to do with. I'm searching now to try and simply download the file, seems the easiest way of doing things.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Your welcome, I've found another possibility that may help you. Open My Computer >> tools >> folder options >> view >> enable show hidden files and folders >> OK. Now go to "C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf". Right click and choose install. Borrow an XP cd from a friend as your going to need it if you do not have the CD yourself.

Have a look at this page, you will have to scroll about 1/4 of the way down, it has many many options to try.

Kellys Corner XP
Old 04-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

I've tried a bunch of things, still no luck. Although I'm not getting the error message telling me it wants that helpctr.exe file now. Also when I go to services.msc, help and support isn't listed. Hmmm. This is such an irritating problem. If anyone can give me any more ideas on how to solve it, it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Tried absoloutely EVERYTHING, to no avail - I think I'm officially giving up on having the help and support facility LOL.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well that sucks, atleast you'll have something to look forward too in your next install.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by tribalsun
Well that sucks, atleast you'll have something to look forward too in your next install.
Hehe yeah
Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Use this

Help and Support Services Restore

Let me know if it works.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
Use this

Help and Support Services Restore

Let me know if it works.
What do I do with all that text? Sorry if this is a stupid question but it just comes up as a very complicated looking bunch of text and numbers. Do I follow it?

Closed Thread